Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

weird sounds at cold idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:24 AM
sleddicted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird sounds at cold idle

Ok, this has been happening for a while now,

I have a 07 3500 ctd

i have noticed that when i start my truck, cold.... and let it idle, it will some make some what weird sounds. I will have to get out a recorder and record it..

but to describe it, my father inlaw, (mechanic) thinks it could be a injector as he has an 06 ctd and it makes the same sound cold, but not as bad.

it will idle normal, but then to me it almost sounds like a quick surge.. he calls it some what of a miss

so, if i was to describe it: this is what it would sound like: ba ba ba ba ba ba ba blap ba ba ba ba ba blapup

lol the ba's being the normal idle. once warm, no problems

sorry for the horrible discription, I have full warranty

let me know

Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 PM
truck42
Amateur

i have found that the new ctd 98.5+ when cold have a heated intake that cycles when cold started to heat the incoming air it does make a wierd sound like that. it draws more amps than the alternator can put out.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM
sleddicted

I thought about your reply and sat in my truck with the windows down, started it cold, and listened and watched the voltage gauge.

every time the grid heaters cycled, and the voltage, dropped or was raised the trucks idle changed breifly. (every time voltage needle moved) once the heaters stopped the cycle, everything was normal.

thanks

Quick Reply: weird sounds at cold idle