Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

FASS Lift Pump - Your Results?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FASS Lift Pump - Your Results?

I have a 98.5 24valve CTD that had the lift and injection pumps both replaced a couple of years ago. The truck runs great still, but after hearing about the lift pump being a common cause of failure for the injection pump, I have been considering aftermarket lift pumps. The truck currently has no mods other than being straight piped from the turbo back.. The only mod I have considered is possibly a Power Puck but I would like to address the lift pump first rather than toast the injection pump from lack of fuel supply. Is anyone running the basic upgrade FASS pump, and if so, what kind of results are you getting from it? I have also been looking at the AirDog Raptor as it has the 1/2" upgraded pressure line included with it. I appreciate your thoughts

Last edited by kissmymagnum; 02-16-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Gerry R
Amateur
Default Fass pump

If you still have a oem pump it is a matter of time before it fails taking the injector pump with it, as has apparently happened before. My 01 had a weak oem pump I replaced after installing a fuel pressure guage and it too went to 0psi one day but I limped home and got a Fass 95 which worked much better. Get a fuel pressure guage and a Fass.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM
cfd303
Professional

Originally Posted by kissmymagnum
I have a 98.5 24valve CTD that had the lift and injection pumps both replaced a couple of years ago. The truck runs great still, but after hearing about the lift pump being a common cause of failure for the injection pump, I have been considering aftermarket lift pumps. The truck currently has no mods other than being straight piped from the turbo back.. The only mod I have considered is possibly a Power Puck but I would like to address the lift pump first rather than toast the injection pump from lack of fuel supply. Is anyone running the basic upgrade FASS pump, and if so, what kind of results are you getting from it? I have also been looking at the AirDog Raptor as it has the 1/2" upgraded pressure line included with it. I appreciate your thoughts

The only thing i dont like about it is i can hear it. It drives me nuts. I have people all of the time asking whats that noise.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

I installed a fuel pressure gauge like one of the other guys did on here and found that my lift pump was already marginal.. I replaced the pump with a stocker temporarily and replaced the fuel filter for good measure. I am running 15 psi at idle and 12 wot so I am not in an insane hurry at the moment.. I am definitely planning to go with one of the better pumps soon though. How long have you had the pump on your truck? I would like to see some longevity in the service of the lift pump.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 PM
duesman
Default fass pump

I had a fass pump installed in my 2002 i love it at idol 17psi floor it 14psi ihad a new injector and lift pump and warning light installed two years ago the warning light came onevery now and then the light on means under 4 psi the new lift pump is going bad i installed a guage to verify when light comes on 1to3psi so this new fass pump works perfect no glitches

Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 AM
kissmymagnum
Professional

After some of the things I have read through about having 5 psi minimum, I decided to put the gauge on mine so I can see what is going on at all times, will probably put a mechanical gauge under the hood as well so that I can verify the electronic gauge occasionally.. I have seen where someone did the same, and I like the idea of knowing that I have a sort of safety net instead of frying the injection pump.. I do appreciate the input so far, and opinions are welcome. By the way, noise is a minor problem as the truck is more than likely loud enough to drown it out..

Last edited by kissmymagnum; 03-20-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 AM
FORANE
Amateur

Is the lift pump as prone to failure in the later models?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Gerry R
Amateur

Originally Posted by FORANE
Is the lift pump as prone to failure in the later models?
I don't think they fail as often but they are still marginal IMO. The difference between the older 24v engines and the common rails is the injector pumps. With the older 24v engines a failed lift pump was certain to take out the vp44 injector pump, whereas with the common rail the pump just quits and leaves you stranded. I changed to a Fass pump on my 2001 after the OEM pump went to 0 one day. Fortunately because of the FPG I caught it in time. On my 2004 I converted just for peace of mind. I strongly encourage anyone with a older 24v with an OEM lift pump to change to a good after market lift pump AND put in a FPG.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 PM
southwind20

Cummins offers a low pressure warning kit because of this common problem

Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Jet Tumlinson

I just put the rapto pump on my truck. It was super simple painless only took a couple of hours to complete. I also added a low fuel pressure sensor at the same time. It was a kit for $65.00 I think it will be money well spent.

Quick Reply: FASS Lift Pump - Your Results?