Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Common things to examine when buying a '98.5 24V

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
d_kyle_b
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common things to examine when buying a '98.5 24V

Hello,

New to the forums here and I am about to purchase my first ISB-powered Dodge. Been a Dodge fan for years, and finally came across the exact Ram 2500 I've been looking for.

The truck in question:

- 1998.5 RAM 2500
- 24v ISB
- 5-speed
- Regular cab, long-box, 4x4
- SLT Laramie P/W, P/L, A/C

Now here is a list of modifications, fixes and upgrades the current owner says were done to the truck within the previous 6 months:

- Ball joints (driver side)
- Track bar
- Front brake pads, rotors
- Front driveshaft U-joints
- CPS
- 4" exhaust with MBRP muffler and 5" tip
- Raptor lift pump

- Clutch (throw out bearing, pilot bearing)
- Quadzilla XZT+

I'd really like to make sure I'm buying a quality truck here, and be able to barter with him based on my findings. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on these trucks, and passed my normal inspection of used trucks, I am looking for things that may be specific to this model and year.

Things I know I should look for when inspecting this vehicle:
(mainly Dodge specific things, not gunna list obvious things you look at when buying a used truck)

- Identify basic front-end related issues (look for ball-joint play, check rubbers, etc)
- Check to see if it has the original motor, and hasn't been blown and swapped for a #53-block(unlikely, but still worth checking)
- Identify turbo type (likely the HX35) and check for shaft-play
- Look for large patches of rust on the frame or other structurally important areas (truck is winter driven, so I am expecting SOME rust)
- Molest 5th gear during test drive to feel for anything funny
- Confirm upgrades and modifications have been done per what the owner said

If anyone here has any suggestions, big/small/whatever, on things I may want to look out for when buying this truck, please give a reply.

Thanks a bunch,

Kyle

Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 AM
d_kyle_b

Nobody has any suggestions? Anything you've got will be a help. Maybe even issues you've had with your own 2nd gen that I may want to look for.

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 PM
d_kyle_b

Going to look at the truck pretty soon here... Could use a few more tips! 232 views and no replies? Not even a little one?

Quick Reply: Common things to examine when buying a '98.5 24V