Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Erratic throttle at steady cruise

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 PM
jconaway
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erratic throttle at steady cruise

I've starting having a problem when at a steady throttle around 25-45 mph the truck wants to cut out and in erratically, but if I give it any pedal at all it smooths right out and accelerates fine. It idles without a problem (other than a slight lope while in park or neutral which it has had for a long time), doesn't smoke abnormally and the problem doesn't seem to happen at highway speeds. No check engine light is lit, and no codes are being thrown that I can find other than my governor pressure solenoid/sensor out of spec. I have been suspecting the APPS but am worried sick it might be the injector pump. Can someone please make me feel better? The truck has right at 300,000 miles and I can account for almost 100,000 of those myself.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 AM
jconaway
Rookie
Default Fixed!

As an FYI, I ordered an APPS from Timbo and it seems to have resolved the problem. The replacement was here in 2 days, it was an easy installation and he's a GREAT guy to deal with.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

Glad it seems to be working as it should now. The gov/pres solenoid can cause hesetation/shudder also at light throttle, but it sounds like the new APPS did the trick.

Quick Reply: Erratic throttle at steady cruise