Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Turbo Question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Question.

hey. been a while since I've been on here. got a 1999 2500 ctd 230000 auto. stock everything. bought it from a small dealer. he had the truck, lift pump went out and then the injection pump. he fixed those and i bought the truck with the current problem. the turbo won't spool in. it spins freely and has no shaft play. any ideas? waste gate stuck open? thanks!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Jayhall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy had this issue when his motor mount broke and the wastegate actuator got smashed. That being said just because the turbo spins freely and appears to have no shaft play doesnt mean it is fine, probably does though. Check the inside of the compressor housing for signs that the wheel has been rubbing. This happened to the turbo on my car. All appeared well at first inspection, but that was not the case.

I dont know enough about the cummins yet but on a car with a MAP sensor set up (manifold absolute pressure) it will run just fine with a charge pipe, or intercooler pipe off but will not boost. Possibly a boost leak somewhere?? If there is an AFM this wont be the case

I hope that gives you somewhere to start looking

Quick Reply: Turbo Question.