Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

05 5.9 HO Hard to start, white smoke, rough idle, and more soot than usual

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Haulin12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 5.9 HO Hard to start, white smoke, rough idle, and more soot than usual

I have an 05 5.9 24 valve HO. Lately the starts are getting harder, small amount of white smoke immediately after start, idles rough for a minute. Also, it seems to be producing much more soot than usual. I have been running fuel cleaner and changed the fuel filter. Seems to be leaking fuel out of an injector and loosing pressure in the common rail as a result. As best as I can figure I have a bad injector or two. Truck runs and pulls fine, mpg is a tad bit lower than usual. The start issue is not just when it is cold, its an issue on every start. The truck also has 220,000k and this is the first engine issue. Looking for advice and opinions please.

Also where is the best place to get injectors?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:58 AM
Brandon lc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get injectors from toxic diesel and also it just might need a good tune up

Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a cracked injector nozzle. common for CR trucks...

my truck series has weak injection pumps, your truck series has weak injectors.

good excuse to upgrade to some bigger nozzles!

get on cumminsforum.com and do some reading and question asking there. you will get much faster responses and more people there with your year series truck/engine.

Last edited by Jigabop; 05-15-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 05 5.9 HO Hard to start, white smoke, rough idle, and more soot than usual