Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Built transmission problems please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 AM
DDMX138
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Built transmission problems please help!!

hey guys i just bought a cummins this weekend and it has a alot of tranny work.( suncoast dd clutch, 5th gear weld and new hardened rods i believe) Everything is great except it grinds when i put it in 5th gear and it doesnt like going in reverse. The seller said that the shop told him that it grinds because it has to be broken in and the reverse problem is due to the dd clutch. I would like to believe him but i just want to make sure everything is okay. Thanks for the anitipated help!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like you've got dead synchros to me.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

Welcome to DF!!!

NV4500 Trans? If so, they have a history of the 5th gear nut backing off and causing those problems. Try double clutching to get it into 5th easier. You pretty much have to be at a dead stop to shift into reverse w/o it grinding to.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
horatio102
Champion

From what he posted, it sounds like his 5th gear nut was welded on. If double-clutching (and rev-matching) helps, it's because his syncros are toast.

I think he's been fed a line of crap, personally.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:49 AM
DDMX138
Default :/

If I shift without the clutch it goes into 5th very smooth. And for reverse I have I put it in 2nd once im sitting still then when I go to reverse its fine. I've learned to deal with it. But as you all must know Im a guy that likes my trucks work te way they should haha

Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Jigabop
Champion

double disc clutches can cause shifting do be difficult, and getting into gear to be difficult. you can resolve those issues by pulling the transmission out, taking a file and file off any burs or rough spots on the input shaft of the transmission and the hub splines of the clutch discs, then use graphite to lubricate the input shaft. Do NOT use grease on the input shaft, it will just sling off and get all over the clutch discs... graphite is a dry lubricant that will not attract dirt to it and it wont sling off the shaft, but it will help the clutch discs slide more easily on the shaft.

usually the hard shifting and hard getting into gear is caused by one of the clutch discs hanging up on the shaft and not sliding back.

So if you get annoyed enough with it, just give that a try. Also if it does not have the HD clutch hydraulics, you might want to get those from south bend or valair.

Quick Reply: Built transmission problems please help!!