Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New to the Cummins world. Mod suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Vajazzle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow New to the Cummins world. Mod suggestions?

Went out and bought myself a 100% stock '04 2500 5.9 4x4 Laramie Quad Cab Short Bed with 88K on it and so far I love it. I know there is a difference in some of the '04's with some being SO and others HO. Mine was built 1/15/04 and is 325HP, unless someone did a sticker swap on the valve cover hah. Anyway, I've heard about the edge juice w/ attitudes, the 4" exhaust (will someone expand on that? Is it a 4" turbo back straight exhaust that's the best for the Cummins?), injectors, and all that... I don't do a lot of towing and when I do it's only hauling around 2 ATVs that are about 800 pounds combined.

Basically I don't know what exactly I should do to it to get the best fuel mileage, also without voiding my 3yr/36K warranty I have on it. Any suggestions please?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

common rail trucks come factory with 4" exhaust... 2nd gen 24v's have 3" exhaust factory...

so unless you want to delete the muffler and cat, you already have 4"...

edge jwa sucks for common rail trucks. the one that will really wake your truck up is the smarty programmer. gives over a 200hp boost in power. it will void your warranty though. so until your warranty is up, get an airdog or fass fuel system because factory lift pumps are garbage. get some gauges (boost, EGT, trans temp <if its an automatic>, rail pressure) and drive it a while till your warranty is up.

now depending on if you have a manual or automatic determines your next step after that: manual - upgrade the clutch to a valair or south bend rated for about 550-600hp, automatic - buy a built automatic transmission from goerend, suncoast, or DTT. after that point: put the smarty on there and you'll get a 200+hp gain...

if you want to build further than that you can with injectors, turbo(s), and high volume CP3 pump(s)...

Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Not all CR's have 4" factory exhaust; 03-early 04 are 3.5". The 50 state emissions HO (04.5-07, 325hp) do have 4" exhaust. You can replace the muffler, remove the cat if you want, or go 5" or full aftermarket 4".

Edge Juice is ok, it'll give a nice boost in power. However, the Edge does seem to run hot in comparison to other programmers. I run a Smarty, or did, and it is awesome! That SOB flat gets out, with authority. Mileage gains for Smarty can be pretty good (I can get 20mpg on the highway on a 500hp tune, if I stay out of it.) Another option with future availability is EFILive; full custom tuning for your truck, it's mods, and the way you use it.

I believe you should have the in-tank liftpump, which is actually a really good pump; I'm still running the stock pump and it's been heavily programmed the entire time I've owned it almost (bought new in Nov. '06, programmed about March '07 and haven't looked back.) Stock in-tank pump will support over 500hp (at the tires) and not have a problem.

May want to look into filtration, either a full replacement pump such as AirDog or FASS, or just a filter unit from GDP.

Regardless what you do, if you program, your warranty is likely gone.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM
(texas-ram)325HP
Veteran

Air before fuel! Meaning before you install injectors get a bigger turbo. Smarty is what I run great programmer I think im about to swap over to EFI live though. Fix your tranny first!! Too to hold more power hope you got the 6speed

Quick Reply: New to the Cummins world. Mod suggestions?