Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2001 Electronic Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
3dubs
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Electronic Tuners?

My last truck was all mechanical so I know nothing about the electronic tuners. I just got a 2001 2500 4x4. I drive on the road and off road and may pull a trailer on and off road.

When I look at the the tuners the only difference I see is price. There is Smarty, Edge, Quadzilla, Hypertech, SCT, Superchips, and others. I want fuel economy on the road, power to pull at trailer, and extra power when the trailer sinks in mud. Which ones have people used? Which one gives the most bang for my buck?

Old 06-08-2012, 11:44 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Skip the downloaders (via the OBDII port) and run an external box; Edge Juice/Attitude, Edge Comp box, or TST PowerMax 3.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
(texas-ram)325HP
Veteran

I have used the smarty on every truck great power. Quadzilla is a great one too. For what your looking for the hypertech is a good chip my buddy had it on his 01 before he got a common rail and he loved it

Old 06-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before you do any kind of power adders to your truck, have you upgraded your lift pump, and gotten a fuel pressure gauge?

If not, do that FIRST! VP44 injection pumps are VERY sensitive to fuel pressure. starve them for fuel and they will die in a heartbeat.

as for programmers, pay no attention to texas-ram....no offence but flash programmers aren't near as great on vp44 trucks as they are on common rails... most we can get out of a flash programmer is 65hp. need a fueling box that wiretaps the injection pump wire to break the 65hp barrier on electronics with a vp44.

Quadzilla adrenaline w/pulse, edge comp, tst comp, and redline are all good boxes.

for programmers the smarty gives good bottom end grunt and makes a great stack with an edge comp, but smarty alone is limited to 65hp gain.

adrenaline will give you a 150hp gain on standard output vp44's, about 120-130hp gain on high output vp44's

edge will give you 120hp gain, 140ish with hot unlock.

anyway like i said before, lift pump first!

also here is a no BS comparison of power gains stock vs with adrenaline on MY truck. (this was before injectors and turbos and such....)

Name:  dynorunSvsP.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  41.5 KB

only mods at this time was a cool air intake, muffler delete, boost elbow with stock turbo set to 35psi, and the adrenaline w/pulse

Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Yep, take care of the liftpump first. You'll be walking and shelling out about 1100 bucks for a new VP in short time if you don't.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 PM
3dubs
Rookie

I pulled the airbox out and put a on a from NAPA 2790. Next will be removing the cat and muffler. Then the Aidog 150. Then the electronics. I am doing them in the order of cost. I figure I can recycle the cat and make a couple bucks to go towards the Airdog. Then do the electronics next month. I also need to go to tires that are good on the road but real good in the mud. My son keeps telling me I need tires that hum when we drive. But I will be driving more on the road with this truck than my last truck. I need them to last on the road but when the trailer has mud over the axle I don't want tires to be spinning. I really liked my Super Swampers I wish they made them to last on the road. But they got me through some nasty spots that nobody would go through. This Cummins has much more power than my old Chevy. I can't wait to see what I can pull with this beast.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Jigabop
Champion

for tires I highly recommend BFG mud terrain KM2's.

They do great in the mud and snow, and they last quite a while on the street. even when they are bald they still get excellent traction. I got my 315/75R16's for $300/each mounted and balanced. trick is to go to costco and get a price quote, then take that price quote to discount tire and they will beat costco's price on the tires. (exactly what I did)

Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM
3dubs
Rookie

The KM2's are the tires I was looking at. I just don't like these metric sizes. I always go with bigger tires. With the standard size I could play with it and find a better price by going a little bigger or smaller or wider or narrower. But the stupid metric sizes I have to figure what size each tire is.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Jigabop
Champion

315/75R16 is metric equiv of 35x12.50R16

Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
3dubs
Rookie

There is no tire made for people like me. Any tire company that would like to make some tires that people would buy should get in contact with me. I am thinking about contacting a tire company or two because I am sick and tired of spending money on tires that can't handle my daily driving. I know there are lots of people out there that drive like me and plenty of people that think they drive like me. I doubt a company would hire me but it would be great fun to get some free tires to test and if they would make the tires I want I could have some real fun.

Quick Reply: 2001 Electronic Tuners?