Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help buying first truck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Steven942
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help buying first truck!

I have about $13,000 to spend on a used truck. I cant decide between a cummins or a 1500. I dont really tow things besides dirtbikes and a small trailer. I was wondering what mpg both the cummins and the 1500 are getting? thx

Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 PM
3dubs
Rookie

I have used 4x4's for a while. I got a diesel 4x4 put the Super Swampers on it and could not believe the fuel mileage. I will never own another gas truck. I just went through this because that is about what I had to spend. I called a friend up that has a ranch and has e few trucks pulling all kinds of things over the roads. He told me to get the Cummins and nothing else. He said the engine will not die even if the rest of the truck falls apart. I got a 2001 2500 4x4 and had money left over. I am mostly doing stop and go driving with no changes and getting just over 16 MPG with no changes. I just changed the air filter and ditched the box but have not checked the MPG. Because next comes bigger tires that can handle the mud. I am amazed at the stock power my truck has with no changes. But of course I will add electronics to boost power and get even better MPG.

Gas engines are cheaper to work on but they break more often. They get lower MPG.

Diesel engines break down less often but cost more to fix. They get better MPG. Even with bigger tires.

Just my 2cents.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 PM
youhaveair

i have a 2005 ram 1500 with a 6 inch lift and 35in mud tires and i get 11mph i would go with the diesel if i were you cummins are the best engines you can get and you can blow smoke on people

Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends. What engine does the 1500 have? Manual or auto,4x4 or 4x2, single cab or 4dr, What gears? this all comes into play with gas and diesels. Our 07 1500 4dr 5.7 hemi sees about 12city and 17highway(it has mds too) My truck in my sig sees 15city and 19 highway. If I baby it I can get a little better. I got 20.5 mixed driving(25% city 75% back country roads speed limit 45-55) Now granted I have 4.10 gears so 60mph is 2 grand anything past that and I lose mpg. All my driving is done with my edge on #2(tow mode)

Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
5.7L_REBEL
Amateur

The hemi isn't a bad truck at all especially for what your gonna be using the truck for. I have an 05 Hemi 4x4...gets pretty decent mpg...about 17-20 highway...which is is pretty much all I drive other than the dirt road I live on...Here in a few months I'll be trading in the 05 on something newer and diesel...Simply because it will do a helluva lot better pulling the livestock trailer and all of our farm stuff...Don't get me wrong here...my Hemi has never let me down...it has pulled some heavy stuff...loaded grain carts, balers, disks, anhydrous tanks, horse trailer, etc...its a damn good truck...just doesn't get good mpg when pulling all that stuff...only when it is empty...SO do what you wanna do...thats my 2 cents...

Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't calculated my MPG since I fixed my fuel leak, but while I had a decent fuel leak and will all my mods I was getting 14MPG... and I mean every time the truck was running, the fuel return was seeping fuel all over the top of the tank... and leaving puddles everywhere it parked.

fuel leak was my fault. broke fuel line years back and my jerry rig fix finally gave out lol. so I fixed it the right was this time.

anyway prior to my mods when engine was stock, I was getting 17-18MPG with my 35" mud tires...

Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyway go with the diesel. they cost a bit more to maintain, but they don't often need maintained lol. A tune up consists of a air and fuel filter, maybe a PCV...there is no spark plugs or plug wires or distributor cap and rotor to change...

also gasoline's need rebuild completely around 200k-300k, diesels are just getting broken in at 100-200k...they can easily go 750k-1M+ miles without a rebuild.

fuel economy is better on diesel, towing ability is completely unchallenged. and if you ever want more than stock power...its simple and easy to do on a diesel. either electronics, injectors, turbo's, or combo of those and a few supporting mods and you have ridiculous amounts of power... just look at my sig...

also your entire truck is built stronger...axles are beefier, transmissions are beefier, suspension and steering is a bit stronger, etc..

Quick Reply: Help buying first truck!