Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Anyone in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005 | 01:35 PM
FatherKind
|
Rookie
Default Anyone in NJ

I am looking into a diesel in the near future. I live in South Jersey and I wanted to know how your diesel fares in the cold weather, and what are some of the pros and cons of a diesel vs. a gas truck. Any info would be helpful.

Old 08-22-2005 | 04:27 PM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: Anyone in NJ

well, even though I dont live in that cold of a climate, I have relatives that do though, the Cummins actualy fairs better than the Ford or Chevy in cold weather.

Since the Cummins has no glow plugs it has a grid heater that acts just like an eletric toaster and heats up the incomeing air charge, this grid heater kicks in at 50F (doesnt realy need to, Ive accidently cranked mine up at 35F and it fired right off[&:]) The grid heater is capable of starting the engine all the way to -40F. However, a block heater is installed on EVERY engine Cummins ships to Dodge. some have the pigtail, and some dont. in your area I believe it is an option that can be easily found, I have to go direct to Cummins South here in ATL to get one, most dealers here dont stock this item since it doesnt get cold enough. however, many up your way do use this when the temp reaches below freezing to aide in getting the engine to running temp quicker.

now, with the horror of the Diesel fuel gelling at cold temps, you can get Power Service in the white bottle. It has anti-gelling properties, I use the grey bottle since it doesnt get cold enough to warrant getting the white bottle. However, if you find that your fuel has gelled, there is a product you can purchase that will solve this.

now, a few times when I started my truck up in cold weather at sub 30F temps, the engine ran VERY rough for a few seconds then smoothed out with a good bit of white smoke. this was due to only three injectors fireing at a time to get things warmed up. shocked the crap out of me when it did it the first time, but I now know what was going on. also, white smoke, thats just the fact that the cylinder isnt getting enough fuel for the air charge, something thats normal when the air is cold and dense. but excessive white smoke means there is a problem.

hope this helps a bit