Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cummins Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Beaters
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins Conversion

Hey all,

I'm looking at buying a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with the V10 gas engine. Just wondering how much work would be involved in converting this truck to a Cummins? Which Cummins engine would be best to put in, and what steps are involved?

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-29-2012, 05:20 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's a lot of work.. unless you have a cummins laying around or the truck you are buying is free... it's not worth it.....

for starters.... cummins motor...compplete fuel system will need replaced from tank forward.... all new wiring harnes including a new insturment cluster... all new exhaust... engine mounts....complete overhaul of front end (radiator, intercooler, core support, a/c condensor, tranny cooler, power steering cooler), new front shocks and springs....

still interested?

it's cheaper to buy a beat-up cummins and fix it up to your standards....

the 94-98.5 12v is a millionmile motor due to mechanical fuel pump

98.5-01 24v.. weak lift pump can cause your Vp44 injection pump to fail.. avoid the 53 block

I would not buy anything newer due to the complex issues with emissions.. they become very hard to mod after say 2004....

Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Ramxls
Amateur

I know this is an older thread, but I do agree it's a lot of work but after doing some strenuous research I have found that 2nd Gen rams are not all that different 1/2 thru 1 ton and in all actuality most things are bolt in as dodge wanted to mass produce the trucks as cheaply as possible which means all the bolt holes in the body and frame show up on every vehicle (case-in-point: every cab has the mounting area for clearance lights under the headliner) I have also found that in rebuilding certain parts of mine that many parts are interchangeable 1500 thru 3500.

I know most of this though because this because I my self am going to take the 1 ton parts along with engine and trans out ofmy 98 3500 QCLB and install them on a 1999 dodge ram 1500 QCSB which shares the same frame with the Ram 2500 of the same model and year, I freely give any info I have just let me know your questions.

I do digress to the fact that if you do not have a truck on hand as I do it can be more expensive than its worth but I just hate to see how every body gets shot down when they want to convert to a Cummins, most people replying don't do their research before downing another person

Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iwhitne
it's a lot of work.. unless you have a cummins laying around or the truck you are buying is free... it's not worth it.....

for starters.... cummins motor...compplete fuel system will need replaced from tank forward.... all new wiring harnes including a new insturment cluster... all new exhaust... engine mounts....complete overhaul of front end (radiator, intercooler, core support, a/c condensor, tranny cooler, power steering cooler), new front shocks and springs....

still interested?

it's cheaper to buy a beat-up cummins and fix it up to your standards....

the 94-98.5 12v is a millionmile motor due to mechanical fuel pump

98.5-01 24v.. weak lift pump can cause your Vp44 injection pump to fail.. avoid the 53 block

I would not buy anything newer due to the complex issues with emissions.. they become very hard to mod after say 2004....
many flaws in this post...

for 1 its 94-98 for the 12v, 98.5-02 for the 24v, and the 24v is also a million mile motor. yes the injection pump can be a weak point if not properly supplied with fuel pressure, but p7100's can fail too..they are not indestructible...

as for newer than 02...false. the 6.7L has all the emissions crap on it. the 03-07 has a cat at most, and that started in 05 in cali

Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by iwhitne
No they aren't.

Catalytic converters were in all 03+ trucks sold in California (and states like Massachusetts that mirrored Cali's emissions requirements), 04.5 one package met emissions in all 50 states, no more Cali or Federal emissions, no HO and SO, it was one emissions package, one power rating.

As for the swap, get a 12v and whichever transmission you choose; I believe the V10 has a 46RH that will not mate with the Cummins. Find a 47RH from the same model year, it'll damn near be a direct swap. Get a diesel PCM and wiring harness from a 94-97 and swap that in to control grid heaters and shut off solenoid (or you can rig up your own controls). The PCM will also run a 47RE

Old 10-27-2012, 02:11 PM
gozapper

I o am also going to do a swap from a 90 cummins into a 01 1500 qcsb. From what I have gathered from some other forums. Something about making some notches on the Cummins damper so to make the pcm make the tach work.
I also have a 98 v10 automatic 4wd that I want to put a 94 Cummins into. My research says that the 47re will bolt up to the Cummins block. I do have the donor truck.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Cummins Conversion