Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

07 5.9L Diesel loss of horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012 | 05:33 PM
jtspeoria
|
Post 07 5.9L Diesel loss of horsepower

This morning my transmission wasnt shifting up when i started down the road. i drove it a few miles and it starting working intermitantly. About 30 minutes later I came to a stop and then started up a small hill. my truck would barley pickup speed and I didnt get above 40 until I got over the hill and hit flat land then it tops about 64mph. I was out of town so i took it easy about 2hrs later I got home and just then my check engine light came on. engine seems to run smooth just no power. My codes came up P1757 and P1753 which are tranny related. Could all this be a bad fuel pump? or multiple issues?

Old 08-29-2012 | 09:58 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by jtspeoria
This morning my transmission wasnt shifting up when i started down the road. i drove it a few miles and it starting working intermitantly. About 30 minutes later I came to a stop and then started up a small hill. my truck would barley pickup speed and I didnt get above 40 until I got over the hill and hit flat land then it tops about 64mph. I was out of town so i took it easy about 2hrs later I got home and just then my check engine light came on. engine seems to run smooth just no power. My codes came up P1757 and P1753 which are tranny related. Could all this be a bad fuel pump? or multiple issues?
Jts,

Here are the code descriptions.

P1753

Theory of Operation

The transmission throttle valve cable has been replace by the transmission throttle valve actuator (TTVA). The TTVA consists of an electric DC motor, two potentiometers, and a gear drive system. The TTVA is mechanically connected to the transmission throttle valve in the valve body by the “D” shaped opening in the bottom of the TTVA shaft.
The Transmission Throttle Valve Actuator (TTVA) does not require any mechanical adjustments. All changes in throttle valve position are controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM).
The TTVA does require an initialization period after the actuator has been removed or replaced. After the actuator has been removed or replaced, move the ignition to the ON position for thirty (30) seconds. This will allow the ECM sufficient time to perform the internal calibration procedures to learn the TTVA's current “zero” position.
  • When Monitored: Ignition on, engine running in a valid forward gear with a throttle opening greater than 50% and the transmission in overdrive.
  • Set Condition: When the Governor pressure is below a minimum threshold when conditions indicate that the Governor pressure should be high. This DTC indicates that the TTVA is working properly electronically but mechanically the output shaft is not moving the Throttle Valve in the transmission.

Possible Causes

BROKEN OR STRIPPED LINKAGE BETWEEN THE TTVA OUTPUT SHAFT AND THE THROTTLE VALVE
TRANSMISSION THROTTLE VALVE ACTUATOR
TRANSMISSION THROTTLE VALVE COMPONENTS

P1757-GOV PRESS ABOVE 3 PSI IN GEAR WITH 0 MPH (DIESEL)

Theory of Operation

The Governor Pressure Control System is used to regulate the governor pressure which controls the shifts for first, second, and third gear. The Governor Pressure Control System test verifies that the requested pressure and the actual pressure are within a predetermined tolerance.
  • When Monitored: While the engine is running and the gear selector is in the Drive position.
  • Set Condition: This DTC will set if the monitored Governor Pressure is greater than 41.4 kPa (6 psi) for 5 seconds while the gear selector is in the Drive position with the road speed equal to zero - six times during a drive cycle. The transmission oil temperature must be between 23 - 88° C (73 - 190° F).

Possible Causes

OTHER TRANSMISSION DTC'S PRESENT
5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION
TRANSMISSION OIL BURNT OR OIL PAN HAS EXCESSIVE DEBRIS - INTERNAL TRANSMISSION DAMAGE
GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR
GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID
VALVE BODY
ENGINE CONTROL MODULE 5 VOLT SUPPLY
ENGINE CONTROL MODULE

Old 08-29-2012 | 11:55 PM
horatio102
Champion

get both of your batteries tested while not connected to the truck. Have you had any work done recently?

Old 08-30-2012 | 08:58 AM
jtspeoria
|

Originally Posted by horatio102
get both of your batteries tested while not connected to the truck. Have you had any work done recently?
Batteries are both a month old. I tested them and they are good. I changed the fuel filter about 6 weeks ago other than that and new batteries no work. Just dont understand the sudden drop off of horsepower.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 09-02-2012 | 04:42 PM
jtspeoria
|

Found the TTVA is slipping around the valve shaft about a 1/8 of an inch at full zero and full open. Should there be any play at all?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Quick Reply: 07 5.9L Diesel loss of horsepower