Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

battery issue's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM
raym85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery issue's

im recently a new owner of a 2004 2500 single cab 6spd cummins. About a month ago the passenger side battery blew, I put another in and it lasted a week. replaced the alternator and another battery. everything seemed fine for almost a month and now once again last night the passenger side battery blew again. ive seen replacing both batteries at once may be a fix but any other thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

usually in a dual battery system, replacing them both at the same time with identical batteries is the only route, what exactly do you mean by "blew" are thy blowing the tops off, or leaking fluid? have you noticed any spikes on the voltage gauge before battery failure, its possiable you have a failing regulator

Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM
raym85

yea each time tops have been blown off. only thing noticed before I replaced the alternator was at first start up of the day the gauge would stay low and then fluctuate. that happened a day or so before the first battery went. once I replaced the alternator and installed another battery, about a month ago, it has been running fine until last night. was letting it warm up then opened the door and heard the battery pop. no signs of anything that time.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the cold volt gauge fluctuation is normal, thats the grid heaters cycling, the only other cause other than miss matched/junk batteries, would be the the regulater giving up and over charging the batteries, have you ever noticed the volt gauge pegged over or running on the high end of the gauge?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
raym85

have not noticed it on the high end. tore into it today and started cleaning all wires and checking grounds, removed both batteries and found the temp sensor was broken. got one on order so hopefully that will be my fix. i'll find out tomorrow. a few dealers I talked to said thats not a common part but seen online places that it could be common?

Quick Reply: battery issue's