Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

05 dodge cummins, please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
shawn1275
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 dodge cummins, please help

I have a vibration and noise coming from maybe transfer case or maybe u joint , it starts around 70 but seems worse at around 75 mph, if you hold speed it makes a roaring sound and small vibration,,, any other time it seems to be smooth,,, i only have 83,000 miles on it,, don't wanna just throw parts at it, any help would be great!!!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At slow speeds, do you get any knocking or clunking noises? I'd check for excessive play at all of your u-joints - front axles (sides), front driveshaft, rear driveshaft.

The front driveshaft has a grease fitting, and needs to be greased. Not many places actually do it with a LOF though.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
shawn1275

No clunking noise no knocking noises, I actually put it up on the rack and run it up to 70 miles an hour 75 Vibration at the rear of the transfer case so I replace that u joint And it's still there so I think it's inside the transfer case,, Warranty going to have to cover it now,, It's going to the transmission shop Monday morning Let them investigate it,,, thanks for your input,,,, I did find a TSB on the yolks on the rear these trucks from Dodge saying they were machined wrong in some cases

Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran

You might want to start with getting your tire balance checked, or at least check each wheel and verify the balancing weights are still there. If your wheel threw a weight it would vibrate at certain speeds, though i wouldnt describe the sound as "roaring". Anyway start with the little stuff before you go looking for big problems.

Quick Reply: 05 dodge cummins, please help