Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Keep the noise down

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 04:30 PM
ytlogger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the noise down

I have a '98 24 valve that had a straight pipe conversion when I bought the truck used. I've been trucking for over 35 years and I'm well past my teens so its a little loud for me. I was thinking of installing a magnaflow turbo back system or maybe just a muffler. My question is, will the MF products be much quieter or should I think of something else.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look into a hushpower muffler, and maybe 4" exhaust if you are looking for EGT reduction and possibly a less raspy exhaust tone..

I run straight pipe 5" with compound twins and it's definitely not too loud 5" gives it a much deeper tone, and 2 turbos in series definitely quiets down the exhaust quite a bit...injection pump is louder than my exhaust

I used to have 3" straight pipe with the stock turbo though and it was definitely louder and raspy sounding. If you had 5" exhaust, I would offer to sell you my 5" muffler that came with my exhaust kit. its unused and has just been sitting in the shop collecting dust and cob webs since I bought the exhaust. shuttleworth muffler for 5" pipe.

btw welcome to dodge forum, and if you don't already have one, get a 0-30psi mechanical fuel pressure gauge on that truck asap. 98.5-02 24v's are notorious for injection pump failure due to lack of lubrication or insufficient fuel pressure.

cheapest quality gauge setup is a isspro mechanical 0-30psi FP gauge with a tapped banjo bolt, needle valve, and 1/8 airbrake line from napa for the line from the needle valve to the gauge. total cost is about $65 for everything. then you just need a gauge pod to mount it like a column mount, or pillar pod.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 AM
ytlogger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter has lots of bushplane time and she says that my truck sounds like a Beaver or Otter coming to take her home. Thanks, I found the Hushpower with some different search terms. Have a fuel gauge.

Quick Reply: Keep the noise down