Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

No Power Steering or brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Dvoeltz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power Steering or brakes.

Any ideas? I took my 2000 2500 diesel out of hibernation from the winter and drove down town for a quick trip to the store and back. Got home and parked it back in the garage after about a 6 mile ride.

Came out a couple days later and it appeared that a pint to a quart worth of oil was on the floor. I couldn't tell where it was coming from but it was running down the arms? that control the steering.

I checked the power steering fluid and it is full but appears dirty. The mmotor oil appears to be slightly fuller from where it was before. I then started the truck, everything sounds normal, but now there is no power steering nor power brakes.

I first posted this in the 2nd Generation forumn but they suggested I post here since it is a diesel. Another member posted this link:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/te...intenance.html

I am thinking this is what it is but it appears that I still have all of my power steering fuild. Is that what is leaking or is it the motor oil?

I tried the truck this PM and everything was working again. So the question is if I can use the truck until I have a chance to get it fixed? I have to travel about 160 miles this weekend and another 160 miles next weekend. Then in three weeks, I have to go on a 700 mile round trip.

Final question, does the VP44 have to come out to get to this unit to repair it?

Thanks in advance!

Dave in Pierre, SD

Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

sounds like the hydro boost pump is going bad.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Dvoeltz
Amateur

Originally Posted by p38251
sounds like the hydro boost pump is going bad.
I have ordered a used one off of fleabay. I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad that swapping out the entire assembly is a fairly easy thing.

Quick Reply: No Power Steering or brakes.