Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2006 Ram diesel 3500 "limp home mode?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM
sugarmaster62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Ram diesel 3500 "limp home mode?

Last year the truck started to "hit" on 7 cyl, no power at all. I was pulling a big trailer loaded down with 600 bales of hay. Of course it did it on a blind curve going uphill. I had only gone about a mile so it wasn't overheated. After a while I got it over the hill & made it home. Later that week I used it again & it was fine. Have not had a problem until yesterday,pulling an empty trailer. I let it set overnight, it was still missing out this AM. I disconected the + side of the batteries for about 30 to 40 minutes,still the same thing!! =Had it checked out last year & was told 3 injectors were bad, 7 to 800 bucks each. If they were bad, how did they heal themselves for 9 months. I suspect an electrical problem. Help !!!! can't afford a new $50,000 truck & I sure don't want to 2 to 3000 bucks on injectors if that's not the problem. Thanks Ed

Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

injector failures are a common problem on common rails...

the tips tend to crack and cause uncontrolled fueling...check your oil for any signs of diesel in the oil...also does it get white/grey smoke out the tailpipe?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Thundering6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree here...
CR injectors if they are still the factory set can be an issue.
Know that not what you want to hear but its real and could be fact.
Have someone hook to the truck with a good scan tool and check the return rates and see which one have high return rates.I am not sure how many miles are on this truck but if it were mine and still stock I would by a set of replacements and swap them out.

Once you determine who many need swapped or if you need to do the entire set make a call into Mumau Diesel in Shelocta,PA and ask for Jeff.Tell him I sent you too him as your best prices on factory Cummins parts will come from him.Doing or having the injectors changed is still alot cheaper than buying a new truck........Andy

http://mumaudiesel.com

P.S.-The problem you had never cured itself by parking the truck all it did was allow time for the part to finally fail.

Quick Reply: 2006 Ram diesel 3500 "limp home mode?