Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First Time Diesel Owner, Have Some ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 PM
rochefort978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Diesel Owner, Have Some ?s

Hey guys, I just picked up a 2006 2500 qcsb 5.9 cummins. I'm trying to figure a few things out, it has a cold air intake on it, bully dog gt programmer, 4" exhaust (from what I'm told), ?" lift, 35x12.50-18. It doesn't really smoke too much even when you get on it and I'm not sure why. Most of my buddies seem to be able to smoke a place out quickly and easily. From what I have read you can adjust the pyrometers? to allow it to smoke more, but it seems that you have to have add ons and stuff? I'm trying to figure out how I would know if it has them, or if there is anything I can do with what I have to make it smoke more, or even get a little better mpg (right now I'm at about 20mpg which I can't complain about, but the more the merrier)

Also have no clue how much lift this thing has, and can't seem to find any identifying marks on any of the components. Any input would be appreciated.

Also if there are any guys running 35s what PSI do you run your tires at for street use?

Thanks guys.

I'll try to attach pics when I can.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:02 PM
scatpack_69
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't want smoke. Smoke is bad. If all you want to do is barf a bunch of smoke, please do us diesel guys a favor and sell it.

Now, if you want performance, we can set you up with that.

No, you cannot adjust the pyrometers, a pyrometer is merely measuring your exhaust gas temperature. It's not an adjustment you make.

Your BullyDog isn't the best, in fact it's better left in the garbage can. If you're looking for more performance and an overall better running truck, EFILive is the absolute best you can get.

How are you figuring mileage? By the overhead? Handcalc it and see what your true mileage is. 20mpg is about the best you're going to get, and that's really pretty good for these trucks.

The truck came stock with 4" exhaust, someone may have swapped the whole thing out, or merely lost the cat and muffler or put in a different muffler, I don't know.

35's will fit with a leveling kit, which is just a spacer for the front coils.

I run 34.5" (for now) and run about 40psi in them.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run about 40-45psi in the fronts and 35-40psi in the rears...

more in the fronts to offset the engine weight, as most of the time the truck isn't loaded. however when I tow heavier than my seadoo, or haul any kind of weight in the bed, I will air up the rears to match the fronts.

as for tuners: sell the bullydog and get EFI-Live on there..

as for smoke: don't. we have enough EPA restrictions because of it, and it's only getting worse...

Quick Reply: First Time Diesel Owner, Have Some ?s