Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Just looking for some info on a 1st gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just looking for some info on a 1st gen

I'm looking in the market for a 1st gen cummins. 4x4 either a regular cab Long box or a extended cab short box (feeling regular cab) preferred standard but could live with an auto. Any thing I should know about these trucks? Good and bad. Any things I should make sure have been replaced or should think about replacing when buying? I don't mind working on my trucks but I'd rather not be under the hood every week end. I'm hoping for under 155000 miles or 250000 kms depending on what side of the boarder you are on.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 1st gens didnt have short beds with the cummins, both regular cab and club cabs have long beds.

Biggest things to keep in mind is 88-91 are non intercooled and have the non OD 727 trans. 91.5 to 93 are intercooled and have the OD a518. If you get one with a manual, they all have the 5 speed getrag

Under 150k is gonna be pretty hard to find especially a 4x4 for a decent price. Its not impossible, but definitely harder.

There are so many things to look for, check cummins forum for more info. A strong first gen following there. Also check the first gen forum him. Most things other than engine and some powertrain apply.

Buy definetly check it all out, check the fluids. Ask what all has been done to it. Ask if the killer dowl pin has been fixed. If the getrag is overfilled, if manual.

Id ask the owner not to start it and not to have it plugged in when you go and see it to get a true cold start to see how it fires up. Steering can get sloppy easy if its been lifted and non converted to crossover and/or a borgeson steering shaft.

more things but thats all I can think of for now

Overall first gens are great trucks, almost all mechanical. And probably the best power to fuel economy ratio out of any of the cummins.

You will have to put money into them though, stuff gets old and wears out. You could get lucky and find someone who has fixed most stuff or has just taken really good care of it. But overall these engines are very reliable and the trucks are great too

Last edited by Comrade General; 02-18-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thanks for the reply! I've always loved the body style on these first gen trucks , probably because my dad drive them when I was growing up. I've never had a diesel before so this is going to be a new world to me but I love experimenting. I know it's going to be hard to find the truck I want but I'm not really pressed to buy it so I can wait for the right one to come at me. I love old vehicles and they sure love my damn wallet aha.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha yeah my dad had a 92 d150. So ive grown up liking them aswell. Ive got gas and diesel now. Both great trucks either if my black gasser is dead right now.

Quick Reply: Just looking for some info on a 1st gen