Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Well, I'm back and ready for my 2nd RAM

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014 | 01:31 AM
cobradriver
|
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, I'm back and ready for my 2nd RAM

After working on my 98 yrs ago, I did a tranny swap and posted the work here

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-feasible.html

Well the engine and tranny are still goin strong but it's just time for bigger and stronger and I want to go diesel in a 2500.

I have the cash and some time, I'd like it by april or may, and would love some input from the folks while I continue my search.

My main issues and points are about this "block53" / 5 speed or 6 / which year has fewest emission requirements....so basically what's a good strong 3/4T truck I can count on for another 200-300K miles?

Thanks ppl and as usual if I find any major work I'll be doing I'll be sharing the process with everyone here, I'll even get pictures going for this one.

Old 03-10-2014 | 12:57 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome back to DF. Will move you to the correct section.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 03-10-2014 | 12:02 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

many people fear and avoid the "53" block.

about 1% of the 53 blocks that were produced will develop a crack along the passenger side of the block above the freeze plugs and leak coolant from the crack.

not all 53 blocks crack as not all have the issue.

the issue was one of the castings for the 53 block shifted and caused blocks made from that particular casting have a thin spot in the passenger side of the block.

not all 53 block castings had the problem and there were quite a few 53 castings.

I seem to have one of the good 53 blocks as I have 244k miles on my truck with no cracks in the block. running 576hp/1285tq to the wheels too.

I do let it fully warm up before I am hard on it though.

for emissions the 98.5-02 24v motors have the fewest emissions. they passed 50 state emissions with no catalyst, no EGR, no DPF, etc. They only have a muffler and resonator in the exhaust.

transmissions: 5-spd and 6-speed are both decent transmissions.

99.5-02 had the 6-speed available, but the "HO" motor didn't start until 01.

don't let the "HO" fool you. the "SO" motor can make power more easily than the "HO" motor can.

SO motor has bigger stock injectors and .5mm larger plungers in the injection pump which allows it to flow more fuel when you start tuning it.

as far as mileage goes: 12v and 24v motors usually make it to the million mile club as long as you take care of them and the dodge around the motor doesn't fall apart first lol.

some have even reached the 2 million mile club!

Old 03-11-2014 | 01:56 AM
cobradriver
|
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...I am always amazed at the knowledge on these boards.....and this is why. Thanks for the heads up on all that. I am looking, from local to I guess Texas, for my truck.

I want this to not only be tuff but in nice shape and nice looking. I have always had work machines and looks didn't matter, well this time it will be both. If I get a good starter to where I can add effects and bumper grills and the sort thats just as fine. As long as I can find a 2500 4x4 stick shift and diesel of course.

Quick Reply: Well, I'm back and ready for my 2nd RAM