Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Problems with 4th gen hid install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014 | 11:40 PM
Jason_brown19
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 4th gen hid install

I'm kinda new to this forum so not sure where to post this question. Anyways. So, I got my kit in, I have installed them before, on an older truck and never had any problems. My problem is, when ever my truck is off and I turn just the headlights on both hids work, no flickering nothing. But! When I start my truck only one comes on and it flickers pretty bad till it comes on. Checked all wiring no shorts, nothing that I can see that's not right. Anybody else ever had this problem? Thanks Jason.

Old 03-08-2014 | 06:19 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while I don't approve of putting HID bulbs into non HID housings without retrofitting HID projectors in first, I will spare you from my rant....

You need to use a relay setup. wire it so your stock headlight wiring is used for a signal to trigger the relays to provide direct battery power to the HID ballasts.

There are plenty of relay kits out there for HID retrofits and that will probably be the easiest method. But bottom line: the headlights need direct battery power, so get a relay setup for them.

Quick Reply: Problems with 4th gen hid install