Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Pulling RV problems, in a 06 2500 ctd

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:24 PM
cdocktc332
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling RV problems, in a 06 2500 ctd

I have a 06 2500 ctd, Auto trans, quad cab, long bed, with 35" tires, with stock gears, so I guess there 3.73, Ive towed my toyhauler travel trailor several times on freeway with no problems, and climbed steep grades on the freeway with no problem, but this last weekend I towed it up in the hills with steep grades,tight turns, so it was very slow speeds, and it was a scary trip. I felt like I hurt trans, And I Felt like my 5" MBRP exhaust with little back pressure was no help, because it made a sound like the turbo was freespinng when I would get to the top of a hill and let off the throttle, and at he same time the trans would up shift very quickly, which didn't make any sense to me, and I would loose all my momentum....That did not seem right at all. And I use the tow/haul feature. Anybody with feedback please !!!

Old 06-07-2014, 01:27 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backpressure itself is bad. Velocity is good. scavenging isn't nearly as important on a turbo though.

Slow speeds and steep hills are hard on trannies with heavy loads. When the torque converter isn't locked up, you're generating a lot of heat. What were your trans temps?

Quick Reply: Pulling RV problems, in a 06 2500 ctd