Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:10 AM
mossy765
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission

if i get a diesel would you guys recommend a manual or automatic trans.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:30 AM
ZR900
Default RE: transmission

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. I am just about to order a new Quad Cab. I will be trading in my '04, long box, 4 wheel drive, one ton. This truck has the auto in it and is getting miserable mileage (13.3) unloaded. My buddy's truck is identical except a short box and gets miserable mileage as well. I was running manual trannys previously and always got close to 20 mpg. My thought this time is to go back to the manual. I realize the engine has more torque but it shouldn't have hurt the mileage that much. I have traded every two years so the truck I was getting 20 mpg in was an '02 manual (6 speed).

The only reason I would go to the manual is mileage. I don't mind shifting but do find the shifter inconvienient when hunting out west. I carry firearms in the center, between driver and passenger and it gets in the way.

We both changed to synthetic after the first oil change. Is it possible this was/is the problem? I have heard many excuses. When we ordered the trucks they were delayed as Dodge was upping the torque and was having a problem with emissions. Maybe they screwed up the early '04's and hurt the mileage to meet emissions? I have 50K miles on this truck and it's the first Dodge Cummins that I don't like and it is soley the problem with mpg that makes me feel this way.

So....Whats the best, manual or auto?

Old 11-03-2005, 11:22 AM
cj5nutz

Opinions are like ....well you know . I love my heavy duty 6 speed manual. Its a truck , not a minivan.. haha Just kidding guyz ... I think it comes down to personal preference. In a few more years we will see which one held up.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:22 PM
bigmike
Professional

it is a lot about preference. traditionally, we have always heard that the dodge auto trannys would not hold up. i think that is supposed to have changed, however, if you start cranking up the torque in the Cummins, there is always the potential for problems. the way i look at it(which may not make sense)is that i can replace a smoked clutch easier and cheaper than a torque converter. the manual clutch or the auto torque converter is generally where problems may first occur, IF, at all. i am glad i opted for the NV5600 - 6 speed. i am sure you will find many differing(and maybe better informed) opinions.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:21 PM
ZR900

Any idea when the 6 speed auto will be available?

Quick Reply: transmission