Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

LOST! 47RE issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:24 PM
aawhite
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOST! 47RE issue...

I'm lost, my transmission (47RE Automatic) is acting up in a very odd way. I will elaborate, it started when I was hauling a medium sized load (between 4 & 5k lbs.) last Friday 05-06-2016. Trans temp was fine the whole 3hr. trip (about 90*F on the interstate) with zero issue other than it seemed to lag when I turned my o/d off. When I arrived in town temps when up (maximum of 150*F) which didn't seem to be too high to me. I dropped of the load an that's when the trouble started, almost immediately. When I'd stop and put and shift from D to R it wouldn't engage until I put the truck in P and shut it off and restarted, it also did the same thing when I went from R to D. It progressively got a lot worse... bummer. As of now, it won't engage any gears in D except only the use of 1 & 2 when selected manually (but not every time now, only sporadically) and the throttle seems to lag when the gear selector is in R or D, but not when in N. I have troubleshooted the issue myself and came to the conclusion that it was the governor pressure sensor and replaced it, still a NO-GO. I'm fairly familiar with diesels and transmissions, I was a diesel mechanic in the U.S. Army for several years, but these civilian models are a whole different ballgame and I'm in over my head. I'll give you a list of mods to the truck (2002 Dodge 2500, 5.9L Cummins, 47RE automatic transmission).
Engine:
Aftermarket intake and air horn
Brand new industrial injection VP44 pump (factory settings with only 3k miles of use roughly)
Quadzilla Adrenaline (I never turn it above level 3 (+75hp) and I don't drive it "hard", never attempted a burnout, throttle hard, etc.)
Transmission:
Aftermarket pressure transducer (to raise line pressure)
Just replaced the Governor Pressure Sensor ( it was beside the pressure transducer)
I'm severely lost at what it may be, no one posting in blogs seem to have had the exact issues I've encountered. Please give me some advice, I need help!!!

Last edited by aawhite; 05-12-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:17 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I would expect there to be some sort of codes in the TCM, any chance you can pull them?

Got a pressure gauge you can hook up? If you still have the check valve in the cooler line, start by getting it the hell out. I *think* that's what cooked my trans the last time.

http://www.sonnax.com/articles/201-4...converter-flow

Quick Reply: LOST! 47RE issue...