Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:26 PM
tomjohnson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9l automatic trans. Will not start until I drain the fuel filter for about a second. Then fires right off. I have tried the bumping the starter thing and the lift pump is working (brand new lift pump from Sep 2018). Even after bumping the starter several times to get the lift pump to run, it will still not start. Sometimes it will start if I crank it for about 10 seconds. It never fails to start if I drain the fuel filter for a second, even after sitting all night. Just changed fuel filter, which turned out to be clean since I just changed it in September 2018 and don’t drive much. Filled fuel filter with clean, fresh filtered diesel. There was no water in the fuel when I took out fuel filter. Still same symptoms after changing fuel filter and doing correct bump start procedure to prime fuel filter bowl. Drove it around all day yesterday, runs fine, not rough like if there was an air leak. No visible fuel leaks. I cracked open the port on top of fuel filter bowl while the engine was running to purge air. No air bubbles visible. Has a Blue Chip VP44 from 2012. Raptor lift pump installed 2012 and failed in 2018. Help!

Quick Reply: Hard starting