Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2017 3500 SLT - EGR Valve - clean & replace or just delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 03:24 PM
TwoIfBySea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2017 3500 SLT - EGR Valve - clean & replace or just delete?

Hello to all. This is my first post and I really did try to search for this topic first before posting. Nothing came up which is very strange but I might have been doing something wrong.

Truck stats: 2017 Ram 3500, 53,215 miles, owned since new.

Anyway, I am not new to auto repairs and servicing, etc having worked as a service advisor for a couple years and at various dealerships in sales and warranty as well. I don't anymore though. However I am a bit new (well, 3 years into it) to diesel ownership and maintenance so I am learning all about things as I go.

So I get a solid CEL on 2 weeks ago. I happened to be near an Auto Zone at the time so I stopped in just to know how fast I need it looked at. Code came up P0402 EGR Valve issue.

Bring it to the dealer and they pulled that code plus a P1C55 code. Their diagnosis was replace the NOx sensor, nothing with the EGR. I thought I still had warranty left since truck is only 3 years old. Turns out that expired 3k miles ago because the exhaust components only have 50k on mile limit. So I called up a buddy who works at a Ram dealer a couple hours away and he got me an OEM NOx sensor and I intended to do it myself until I got the fender shield of and realized I was a bit over my limit on it. So I put the tire on and brought it to another friend's diesel tech shop and they slipped it in for me.

Engine light came back within 12 hours of driving. I just so happened to be near another Auto Zone (different one) and once again their scanner brought up P0402.

So I bring it back to the dealer because I didn't realize the EGR is also not under warranty or I would have just gone back to the diesel shop instead. I have not gotten a call back yet but they are thinking it needs to be replaced based on the initial diag. They quote me a part price alone of $1400 (ha ha no thanks...). I know I can get one way less from my buddy a couple hours away and the install looks super easy, but... do I need to?

I am seeing two options via google before actually replacing the part entirely:
1. I can try to clean it to see if that makes the difference and apparently that this is actually a regular thing that needs to happen (I did not know this) every 55k or so. There is even specific EGR cleaning solution that MOPAR makes.
2. Delete it altogether with the kits you can get out there and would that make any true difference or cause any issues with my still-in-place powertrain warranty, etc? Obviously people have done this without issues to theirs but I hesitate on doing any mods because I rely on this beast for my farm and hauling my horses.

Thanks in advance!!

Quick Reply: 2017 3500 SLT - EGR Valve - clean & replace or just delete?