Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Pre Calibrated VGT Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 06:35 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pre Calibrated VGT Actuator

Disclaimer: I’m not here to debate remanufactured vs new actuators or whether or not the turbo should be completely replaced. I’m well aware of how a proper repair should be performed. I’m just trying to find out people’s first hand experience when it was just the actuator that was bad.

Does anyone have any experience using a Plug and play pre calibrated VGT actuator? If you used one without recalibrating it how much was the range of motion reduced vs properly calibrated to your specific turbo? Were you able to get good boost on full throttle and how well did your exhaust brake work? Also what year of truck?

Old 11-26-2021, 05:20 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save yourself the agony and just rent the calibration tool when you buy an actuator. Best case scenario you won't get full benefit of the VGT, worst case it'll burn the actuator motor out. Most likely outcome is it won't work right and you'll have to take it back off and calibrate it when you reinstall. Personal experience with this very recently.

Quick Reply: Pre Calibrated VGT Actuator