Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tranny Slipping??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tranny Slipping??

ORIGINAL: jfoley_1

I have a 1994 Dodge Cummings 2500 Automatic and the last couple of days while I am driving at about 60-65 mph my trasmission keeps down shifting and flucuating the RPM's by about 300. I am not sure if my transmission is wrecked or if there is something that can be done to fix the problem?

Thanks for any advice
Clean or replace TPS and check your brake light switch plunger depth.

Does your cruise control work with no problem? If so, the TPS and or bad ground would be my guess. If the cruise control will not stay engaged, then I would check the brake light switch.

Always check the easy stuff before dumping money into the more involved procedures.

And I believe that 47RH & 47RE means H-hydraulically or E-electronically controlled transmission.

A 94 would be a 47RH.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Joedodge63
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, before ya go rebuilding everything... I bought a fix for the converter kicking in and out on eBay. I scanned the instructions and diagram for you all to look at but the file is too big for one post, so read my second post on here too! The wire to rewire the TPS is a shielded wire with this printed on the outside covering "Carol 18AWG C2534 75C E111240-8 CM C CMHOR AWM style 2092 Made in USA" So run to your local wire store and give them this info for the right wire and follow the instructions! Should be a cheap fix!! Hope this helps!!!! Perhaps some other guys bought the same fix for the trans. It works!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Joedodge63
Rookie

Here is the second page I told you about!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:30 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

If voltage spikes are a big problem, just add a 5 - 10 farad capacitor to the trucks electrical system...lol. That should smooth out any spikes. I have a 1.5 and a 2.0 that I use for my amplifiers. I FIRMLY believe they are well worth the money for what you get in exchange. Helps the trucks entire electrical system, if it's all in good shape.

Good luck with that ride.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:06 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

ORIGINAL: jfoley_1

I have a 1994 Dodge Cummings 2500 Automatic and the last couple of days while I am driving at about 60-65 mph my trasmission keeps down shifting and flucuating the RPM's by about 300. I am not sure if my transmission is wrecked or if there is something that can be done to fix the problem?

Thanks for any advice
Clean or replace TPS and check your brake light switch plunger depth.

Does your cruise control work with no problem? If so, the TPS and or bad ground would be my guess. If the cruise control will not stay engaged, then I would check the brake light switch.

Always check the easy stuff before dumping money into the more involved procedures.

And I believe that 47RH & 47RE means H-hydraulically or E-electronically controlled transmission.

A 94 would be a 47RH.
where does the "cruise control" comeinto directplay with the trans?

these trans units are listed for the one in question.

46RH, 47RH - 89 to 95 and is also called the A-518

the 46rh was a 3 speed from the factory. dodge bolted on 4th gear and made it electronicly controlled by the tps unit. 1st thru 3rd are hydrolically shifted. when the trans flutters at highway speeds, the tps is worn out, trans is slippin and needs adjust, or youre gonna be droppin some $$$ for a rebuild...average here is $2000!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

If the brake light switch plunger is what's causing the tc to unlock/lock, the cruise control will also disengage at the same time the tc unlocks.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

If the brake light switch plunger is what's causing the tc to unlock/lock, the cruise control will also disengage at the same time the tc unlocks.
guessin Id need to see a schematic.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:35 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

[/quote] guessin Id need to see a schematic.[/quote]

If jfoleys Ram,has a bad brake light switch, or the switch plunger is out of adjustment, that can cause the tc to lock and unlock.

Ever hear someone say " I swear when I step on the brake pedal, it feels likethe cargoes faster for a split second".

On the Rams, as soon as you let up on the throttle all the way, or step on the brakes, the TC unlocks. Thats why the vehicles seems to "go faster" for a few seconds. Once that TC is unlocked, there is minimal engine braking now.

There was a problem with the 94-96 where the brake light switches were not set properly from the factory. Hit a small bump and the tc would unlock, then lock again. All because of the brake light switch. At night your brake lights would come on and off with no foot on the brake pedal.

That's why I asked about the cruise. If the cruise will not stay engaged, and you notice that the TC unlocks at the same time the cruise drops out, then it's a brake light switch that is causing the problems.

Step on the brakes and the tc unlocks, the cruise disengages. That's why a lot of guys buy these lockup commanders. Keeps the tc locked no matter what gear, thru upshift and downshifts, brake applications, and exhaust brake operations as well. The ATS commander locks the tc at 18mph. Once in lockup, the tranny fluid basically keeps the clutch engaged. There is no fluid drive taking place. Fluid stays nice and cool as well.

Hope this helps explain a little better.lol.

Good luck with ALL our rides.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

DieselDemon

wonder if thats one of the probs with mine

Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 AM
02cummins
Captain

yea mine seems to shift wierd into OD also...seems like it slips into it sometimes

Quick Reply: Tranny Slipping??