Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

47RE Auto Trans Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 04:22 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47RE Auto Trans Capacity

Hello All,

I'm new to this site, posting my first question. If this has been answered before, I apologize, I didn't find my answer.

I have a '90 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the CTD engine.

I'm looking to change the auto tran filter and fluid and also flush the entire system to get the old fluid out of the torque converter. I'm having trouble finding out the fluid capacity. I believe its 11 quarts, but I don't know if that is a complete replacement or pan only.

I intend on using Amsoil ATF. I see from other posts several others use it already. I had also heard concerns about whether Amsoil ATF meets ATF+4 specs.

I will likely change the fluid in the transfer case at the same time with the same fluid.

Thanks in advance for your information and comments.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Cageman
Default RE: 47RE Auto Trans Capacity

I have a 2000 2500 I just had the trans rebuilt. I added a extra deep magna-hytec pan and it increased my capacity several quarts. I used Amsoil universal synthetic it is ATF+4 and dodge correct according to the shop. It is probably around 14qts I think. If you buy a twin pack(2-21/2 gal) you will have more then enough to change all and have some for later. With my extra deep pan it took all 5 gals.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a stock '90 truck then you have the 737 tranny. the 47RE wasnt introduced untill the 24 valves came out. and between the 737 and the 47RE was the 47RH which went from 93-98

if you want to flush the system properly then you will need two filters and a butt load of fluid. I wouldnt worry about flushing the system, just dump the old stuff out, change the filter and add back what you need since the entire system converter and trans takes about 18 quarts and there realy isnt a good way to drain the converter.

but what you need is about 5 quarts of your favorate ATF-4 by dropping the trans pan.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:54 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

Sorry, don't know why I typed '90 it is in fact a 2000 year model.

As for the flush, the fluid hasn't been changed for quite a while. I was going to follow the process outlined on the Amsoil web site. After changing the filter and reattaching the pan and refilling with fresh ATF, disconnect the lines to the trans cooler, start the engine, put it in drive and watch for the exiting fluid to change to the new red color. I'll have someone adding new fluid as this goes on.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

year 2000, your right, 47RE

just be prepared to dump alot of fluid

Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Cageman

That is the correct way to flush the system. I was going to do that at the shop here but tranny was to ugly when we dropped the pan so I had it rebuilt. The 5 gal twin pack will do the job for you.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:14 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

Just to finish up this thread.
It took a total of 16 quarts to complete the filter replacement and flush. Six quarts after the filter was changed out, then 10 during the flush. I suppose you could use more if you let the the flush go longer than I did, it comes out pretty quickly. I stopped it as quickly as I could once I saw the noticable color change in the fluid.

Asso drained and refilled the transfer case, took 3 quarts.

Thanks all for your advice.

Quick Reply: 47RE Auto Trans Capacity