Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Thanks for making the decision easier...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:38 AM
dwhitney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for making the decision easier...

First off would like to thank everyone who responded to my newbie questions. Went out last night and bought a new RAM. Orginally was going for a 2500 but I snoozed it sold and I ended up with a fully loaded 2006 3500 SWB Larimie Quad 4x4, Auto CTD for only $200 over the quote on the 2500 LWB. Seemed like a good deal so took it.

Already managed to put 256 miles on it since 8:00 PM last night and my wifes hijacked to drive to school tonight, we have already had a discussion and told her, well you could trade in your Durango on one?

Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thanks for making the decision easier...

HA HA HA HA

sweeet dood, now yank off the intake, pop out that silencer ring, gut the intake and listen to that turbo sing!!!

it's a free mod, gets you no more power, your fuel mileage will be the same. the only thing it will do is just make noise and thats it!!!

just remember, Drive it like you stole it and it will live along time. and one thing that I stumbled apon by accident. if you feel like performance is getting a bit weak. find the steepest, longest hill you can, and put the throttle to the floor the entire way. not only will you clean out your muffler, but you will also reset the computer wastegate settings and fuel mapping for better acceleration, and fuel mileage.

I generaly smoke the tires atleast once or every other tank just for this purpose[8D]

Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 AM
dwhitney

Sounds good to me, and any suggestions for upping mileage definetly appreciated with a 106 mile daily commute...

Old 03-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Drew
Professional

just like a fine wine, it only gets better with age

also most performance modules set on the lowest settings give you not only about 30 more hp, but also give you 1-3 more MPG. I have a mix of 16oz Power Service, and 8oz of Marvels Mystery Oil I add to every tank. this has shown on my truck to give me a constant 2 mpg better over not useing it, plus with the new ULS Diesel fuel comeing out the CP3 and Injectors can use all the lube they can get, even though they have been designed to run the ULSD, I still feed them a bit more

and most important, enjoy the truck!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 11:17 AM
dieselram
Captain

Drew,
Where is the silencer ring? Is it actually in the opening of the turbo? I can't believe I missed that when I put the torque tube in. Also, if you don't have any hills, will some hard accelerations and burnouts work for the wastegate and fuel mapping?
Thanks again for your knowledge

Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Drew
Professional

when you pull the intake tubeing off this is what you will see

the silencer ring is the silver looking piece that is heald in by a snap ring. a flat head screwdriver will pop the snap ring out since it is beveled on the edge.

when I pulled mine out I put it underneath the rear seat and havent touched it since.

oh dave, one more thing, the best place for filters that I have found has been Geno's Garage

I nabbed their 4&2 kit that has 4 oil filters and two fuel filters. I also got another fuel filter that I put underneath the rear seat with a 12 inch adjustable wrench to keep it company incase I get a bad load of fuel. this is something I suggest for everyone cause you never know.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:56 PM
dieselram
Captain

I'll be working on that right after work tonight, you can never be too loud with a Cummins. That ring will look nice in the garage with my other stock parts.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:12 PM
cummins2006

Congratulations...!!!!

I'm also a new owner of a '06 2500 SLT 4x2 QC, with the Cummins engine, the truck feels rock solid compared to my previous vehicle ('97 Mazda Miata) what I'm really freaking out now [&:] is the fuel costs...!!!! I told the wife that the MPG were as good as the Miata due to the Diesel engine, but Diesel is way to high right now...!!!!! Not sure if I will sell the Miata now but the 0% APR deal that I got was too good.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:45 AM
bekim
Professional

ORIGINAL: Drew

just like a fine wine, it only gets better with age

also most performance modules set on the lowest settings give you not only about 30 more hp, but also give you 1-3 more MPG. I have a mix of 16oz Power Service, and 8oz of Marvels Mystery Oil I add to every tank. this has shown on my truck to give me a constant 2 mpg better over not useing it, plus with the new ULS Diesel fuel comeing out the CP3 and Injectors can use all the lube they can get, even though they have been designed to run the ULSD, I still feed them a bit more

and most important, enjoy the truck!!!
I second everything Drew said MMO and PS are good stuff, and a mild Programmer setting will increase your commute mileage. It bumped mine up almost 2 mpg on the lowest performance setting. Welcome aboard fellow oil burner, LET THE ADVENTURES BEGIN!!
Mike
###

Old 03-02-2006, 01:48 AM
bekim
Professional

The mileage will increase with time. I got better and better mileage until 20,000 mi or so. It's at about 21 highway now cruising at 1900rpm (~68mph)
ORIGINAL: cummins2006

Congratulations...!!!!

I'm also a new owner of a '06 2500 SLT 4x2 QC, with the Cummins engine, the truck feels rock solid compared to my previous vehicle ('97 Mazda Miata) what I'm really freaking out now [&:] is the fuel costs...!!!! I told the wife that the MPG were as good as the Miata due to the Diesel engine, but Diesel is way to high right now...!!!!! Not sure if I will sell the Miata now but the 0% APR deal that I got was too good.

Quick Reply: Thanks for making the decision easier...