Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ctd blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006 | 10:03 PM
DAGS
|
Rookie
Default ctd blow off valve

Hi, does any one have a boost blow off valve on their trucks? I'm wondering if we could install one and where do they go? (it looks like on the ricers it goes on the intercooler?) I'm getting sick of these little ricers in town blowning off their whole 10psi boost. they think its so cool with its little psst...... I think it would rock if i pulled up to one and blew off 30psi or so.. POW [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Dags 2004.5
2500 ctd
stock
97 doge neon
stock
83 VW jetta (gas)
kinda stock

Old 04-13-2006 | 10:18 AM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: ctd blow off valve

that would be a definate POW.

I just have my intake opened up so my turbo screams at them while I'm pushing 30+ PSI and make them roll up their windows

Old 04-13-2006 | 03:53 PM
dieselram
Captain

I believe you can place them anywhere between the turbo and the intake manifold, but most people put them between the intercooler and the manifold so the pressure doesn't crack the intercooler. I don't have one yet, but I plan on getting one when I get hard pipes (and upgraded intercooler). I was reading that we should have them since abrupt throttle lift can cause compressor surge (but thats from the guy selling it, so take it as you will). I almost had a free one from a damaged Supra running a single turbo around 30-40 PSI, but it was damaged as well.

Its funny some people still don't realize the trucks have turbos. They have to wait until I fly by in 3rd or 4th gear at 2500 RPM.

Old 04-13-2006 | 06:34 PM
Drew
Professional

Shaun, your refering to turbo bark, the Manuals dont have to worry about this too much, but the auto's do since the RPM drops more abruptly. the pressure generated by the turbo before the shift is to much for the turbo to support after the shift, the pressure has to go somewhere and sometimes the impeller will actualy spin backwards. this will dammage the shaft that connects the turbine to the compressor wheels.

a BOV will not help with this. the only thing a BOV is good for is to pop before a pressure spike happens before the wastegate opens to slow the turbine wheel down

Quick Reply: ctd blow off valve