Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Getting more power

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:32 PM
tcb04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting more power

Hello. I'm thinking of buying the Banks six-gun system. I already have the monster exhaust. I tow a 5th wheel that weighs 12,000 lbs. Would this be a wise choice or is something better? I plan on installing 33in all-terrian tires next month.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:50 PM
ugotit
Professional
Default RE: Getting more power

All the aftermarket company's have there good points we install alot of Bully Dog systems our customers like the performance .

sales@strippermotorsports.com

Old 04-23-2006, 11:47 PM
josh2500
Rookie

i have the edge with attitude on my 05 and it is a good setup. it also has the program for the bigger tires when you get them. you can select your tire size and it will reset your speedo. plus you can run it on pretty much any level and be safe with the power.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:53 AM
hancockbs

Josh,

What kind of milage are you getting? Have you played around to see which setting is best for milage?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:51 PM
connorgleason
Rookie

I've had a Banks 6-gun bundle (with Speed Loader) installed on my truck for over two years now...and I love it If you read around some of the message boards you will find a lot of anti-Banks people. But I have nothing but good things to say about them. Like I said, its been running in my truck flawlessly for over 2 years. Even the dealership guys thought it was pretty cool. My truck went in for an unrelated issue and they never even mentioned the possibility of it voiding the warranty, etc.

I used to have a 28-ft flatbed I used to tow a miltary humvee (about 10,000lbs total)....now I have a house and a wife [8D]....so I'm toyless

It ran like a champ both loaded, and unloaded. A couple recomendations....

1. Get it installed professionally - many of the complaints I hear from the anti-Banks people is that they have poor customer service. In every case I could find it was because they did it themselves...and most likely screwed someting up. If you get it done through an authorized dealer, warranty claims shouldnt be an issue.

2. Keep it below level 4 while towing/daily driving. If you leave it on 6 all the time....you'll have loads of fun, but I'm not sure how good it is on your truck.

3. Monitor your EGTs....especially when towing.

Now for a little real-world experience. This is not intended to start any brand loyalty arguments...just my experience. I was heading out to Glamis with a couple of buddies. Odd enough it was my Dodge, a Ford F250, and a Chevy Duramax. The Ford had a Bully Dog system, the Chevy has an Edge setup...and my Dodge has the Banks. Unloaded, my truck comes in last place pretty routinely [:@] .....but man, once you load em down it was a totally different story. We had to pull over on multiple occassions for the Chevy to cool down. The transmission and exhaust were getting WAAAY too hot. And the Ford was unbelievably sluggish. So, I have come up with my conclusions;

1. Dodge makes a more reliable truck
2. Banks puts out a much more conservative system. ...good or bad depending on how you look at it. They have safety features that will automatically shut the system down if it detects too much transmission slip, etc.

So, bottom line...if you want to smoke your friends in a drag race...go with someone else (throw some nitrous, propane, and all the other Bully Dog goodies than make your truck into a missle ) If you want solid performance that will last, I'd go with the Banks kit.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:05 PM
josh2500
Rookie

I got about 12k miles on the 4X4 05 and i get about 16.8 averaged nothing but city driving if im real easy on it. On the interstate i get about 18 going 70 and 17.7 going 75. I went to natchez last week and ran 60 the whole way and got a hand calculated 20.5. It dont really matter what setting your on 1-3 in the city, it will be about the same just stay away from 4 and 5. I normaly leave mine on 3. With the edge, straight pipe, and K&N intake i get about 2 mpg better than stock which isnt great but every little bit helps.

Quick Reply: Getting more power