Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

update on MAP mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default update on MAP mod

just to give everyone an update on my ongoing research for better mileage (and the occasional smokeing of the other guy) my resistor mod for the MAP sensor has given me this.

for a full tank I tested a 36ohm resistor, what did I find, no real gains except I did notice the turbo sounded a bit different and did spool a bit quicker. Fuel mileage was virtualy unchanged.

the 33 ohm resistor actualy gave me something interesting. I actualy got .5mpg more in mileage, the truck did feel a bit more peppy, and turbo lag was slightly less then the 36ohm resistor. EGT's stayed pretty tame maxing out at 1150F which is by no means dangerous.

I popped in the 30 ohm resistor last night since I filled up the other day. now I did use this resistor earlier and it gave me a MAP sensor voltage code. this was from the grid heater kicking in and the MAP sensor showing boost while the engine wasnt running. . .oops[&:]. Anyway, I have found out as long as you fire the engine up as soon as the indicator goes out things are fine and no code. So far just on my drive to work, mix of city and highway this is what I found. I nailed 1350F on the pyro, turbo lag is virtualy gone, chirped the tires going into 4th under hard acceleration, and the headlights of the car behind me nearly dissapeared[sm=jawdrop.gif].

I did do a quick fuel mileage comparison with my overhead, weither or not this is accurate or not I'll find out at my next tank, but so far in the city driveing mileage is on par with no resistor since the turbo is spooling quicker. highway is where the gains are so far showing up, mileage is actualy .5mpg higher than the 33 ohm this is just from driveing my truck this morning, I'll know more down the road and I'll keep ya'll updated

Quick Reply: update on MAP mod