Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Stock or Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Krudell Dogs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Stock or Aftermarket

I just bought a 94 RAM 4WD Cummins Diesil and so far have only seen pictures. It has Eaton Fuller on the shift ****. Is this a stock transmission? Also this may seem to be a dumb question but the **** has a red button on the side and maybe a black button on the back, the pictures don't make it clear, I don't know what these buttons are for. Any help would be appreciated.

Kru

Old 05-07-2006, 04:57 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Transmission Stock or Aftermarket

Sounds like someone put an aftermarket shift **** on it....they didn't necessarily do anything to the transmission.

The buttons could do anything...or nothing at all. Can you ask the person that you're buying it from? [>:]

Old 05-07-2006, 08:52 PM
NJ Diesel
Rookie

Sounds like a PTO (power take off) or something relating to snowplowing ? Do you know any history of this truck's previous life?

Old 05-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Krudell Dogs

Do you know any history of this truck's previous life?
I had a VIN check done and the truck had a salvage title from 95 but that was 10 years and 130K miles ago and it only has just over 150K so something must be right. I understand it has been a ranch truck in Texas most of it's life. The pictures show the previous owner just replaced the turbo, injectors and more. I sent some questions to the dealer including one about the lift pump after reading here, but have not heard back over the weekend. Looking at the pictures The Burning ROM may have a point that it might just be a weird shift **** but it is hard to tell from the pictures.
Thank you. If anyone has any more questions I don't know enough to be asking now would be a good time to clue me in I will be talking with the dealer on Monday.

Kru

Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the guy probably put the EF **** on it so he would have that button for either PTO, overdrive/underdrive, or an exhaust brake.

the 94's I believe have a GetRag tranny, it is alright, but doesnt have much overhead. he might have swaped out for an eaton fuller tranny, if he did you have almost unlimited capacity on BOMBing that engine[8D]

the only way to know would be to actualy get under the truck.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Krudell Dogs

Hi Drew,
Thanks for responding I heard from the dealer today who contacted the PO. The transmission is the original, he thought the **** looked cool and the buttons do nothing. I don't agree and expect to put a stock **** back on. He also told me the lift pump has been recently replaced along with the turbo and injectors and brake work. But I don't understanding what it is that you are telling me. You wrote:

GetRag tranny, it is alright, but doesn't have much overhead
I'm sorry but I'm pretty much of a novice to the truck market and language. I have liked the looks of these trucks since they first changed in 94 and have heard and read that these are very sound trucks, especially those with the manual transmission. I'm not expecting to do a lot of heavy duty hauling. I have a sports car that I plan to tow to shows and that will likely be the heaviest towing I do. It's white and I hope to paint it to match the pearl sports car. Otherwise, I need a 4WD drive because we live on a small tree farm with some light livestock out in the sticks. We have a very long driveway with a couple of nasty hills and sometimes a good 4 wheeler is the only in and out. Otherwise, I don't expect this truck to be a daily driver, maybe a few times a week to the feed store, lumber yard and dump or to take some logs to the saw mill. I looked for a long time for a 94 Diesel 4WD with the manual transmission. I hope you aren't telling me I've messed up?

Kru

Quick Reply: Transmission Stock or Aftermarket