Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

stacking

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 01:12 PM
usafr
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stacking

ive read some articles and am confused. am i right in thinking that some performance programmers can be stacked with others, sort of like stacking steroids? if so, can anyone give me an example of what would go together, or what would go with my triple dog.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: stacking

you have to be carefull as to how you stack boxes, they have to go in a certian order, and most peple will stack boxes where one does durationa dn timeing and the other is a timeing pressure box.

a good stack is the quadzilla box and the Van Aaken left on level 2. TST will stack with just about anything, and the best stack with the TST is the Edge box.

for your bully dog, I would say edge or Van Aaken would be a good stack, but be carefull if you still have a stock tranny/clutch. it will burn up.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 PM
usafr
All Star

Thanks for the info., this is probably one of those things that I'm just gonna leave alone. My truck has plenty of power as it is, but you know how it is, a 30 year old kid with a new toy, and access to on-line shopping, it's just a dangerous combo.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:37 AM
BlkRam69
Professional

Drew,

I'm lookin at stacking the Quadzilla ZXT2 (econo module-65 hp +1-4 mpg non adjustable module) with the Bully Dog adjustable programmer at Tow / econo (60hp) setting mostly.

I dont have much need to go above perf. level (80 hp) really which takes me to around 470 hp max.

How do you think the 48re would hold up?

I do like the idea of having 240 + extra ponies if I felt ike pulling a "Crazy Larry" though.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Drew
Professional

the 48RE is only good for an extra 75 hp over stock before things start to go awry. however a modded valve body and increased line pressures make it a beast that could easily handle what you are planning.

even if you put that BDDL on crazy larry and the quadzilla box on I doubt you would have 470 at the wheels. I would say closer to about 375-400 since a stock 48re truck only dyno's at about 275-280 RWHP you have to remember you have about a 30% loss in power at the wheels due to drive line loss.

it would probably be a good stack since the quadzilla box will give you a bit more duration.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:01 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

Thanks Drew,

Here I was lookin at upgrading the torque converter ($1100 and up). Any suggestions on the valve body, (BD, ATS, etc).

I was also hoping of putting larger injectors (stage 2 / 3). Would the stock lift pump due or am I looking at installing an auxiliary lift pump as well?

Old 06-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Drew
Professional

with your 06 the pump is in the tank which kinda makes it a bit more difficult to increase flow to the CP3.

you can drop the tank, pull the pump out, then pull out all the stock fuel line and upgrade it to larger line, then install a FASS or walbro pump that flows alot more. with the injectors and the boxes you are going to suck your rail dry very quick.

or you can just add the pump and have it pull through the stock pusher pump.

with what you are wanting the BOMB list may need to read similar to this.

#1. Fuel pump to make sure the supply is there.
#2. upgrade the TC, and valve body so the tranny can handle the power (ATS and BD are both good)
#3. injectors
#4. turbo
#5. TST

Many people go with a full ATS built tranny. these are hard to beat up and can handle some serious power. Infact I believe they warranty their tranny's not to break and if they do they will fix it for just about nothing. If you are looking at building some serioud power, billet input and output shafts are a must.

Quick Reply: stacking