Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stereo Wiring Problems and Misc

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:26 PM
rbmason
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Wiring Problems and Misc

I have a '99 Ram Cummins (of course). Last year I decided to put a sub system, albeit a cheap one, into my truck.
My friend and I put it in ourselves. My friend's wired several before, and it's not all that difficult. However once we completed the wiring, everything worked, except the cd player in the stereo I bought. It will only play through the subs. Any thoughts?

Also during driving in the past month, the constant power cable came loose and I think shorted out, considering it does not get any voltage now (checked with a voltmeter). Does anyone know the best way to replace it?

And one last thing, the cruise control light will come on, but it does not actually work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Flent
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stereo Wiring Problems and Misc

I have a couple of questions but I beleave I know what your problem is.

Do you get sound out of the trucks speakers when the cd is playing or you just get sound out of the subs when the cd is playing????

Here is what I beleave is happening.

Allot of aftermarket cd players have two power turn on outputs.

One is solid blue wich is a power anttena output and the second is blue/white stripe wich is remote amp turn on.

It sounds to me that you hooked the power anttena output to the blue in the radio harness that plugs into the truck harness and the solid blue/white to the remote wire to the amp.

If this is the case then you need to disconnect the two blue wires. The blue comeing out of the radio cap it off. Then take the blue in the harness that hooks to the truck harness and connect it to the blue/white along with the amp torn on lead.

The reasoning for this is the wire in the harness that plugs into the truck harness is to power up the factory amp but is labled power antenna. When you insert a CD into your radio it then turns power off to that wire to bring down a power antenna but in your case it is turning off the factory amps.

If you have any questions on this please ask.

The constant power wire will be on a fuse in the truck. I can not remember if it is a inside fuse or a fuse under the hood. Check all the fuses and that will fix the problem. As for the cruise light comeing on I do not think that anything behind the radio will cause this. I would check any of the orange wires to make sure they are not grounding out as this will cause damage to the dash lights in the truck. Make sure you either use a good crimp connector for your connection or soilder all your connections and cover with 3m tape.

Quick Reply: Stereo Wiring Problems and Misc