Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need Ford Help Really Bad **UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Ford Help Really Bad

I'm looking through some things here and I'm finding some interesting stuff. . .if the poor running happened just after the oil change then the oil is the problem. it has to be API "CH" or "CI" oils or the thing will run like crap from what I'm seeing. All HEUI engines, PSDs included are sensative to the type of oil used. Poor oil quality will cause excessive aeration of the oil ,and very poor injector function. if this started happening right after an oil change, I would investigate what brand, weight and API rating oil she has in it.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 PM
troop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big n bad try going to fordtrucks.com they do have a web sit just like this one. I used to own a 7.3 it was an 01 they are the best motor ford put in their truck. underpowered but pretty much belletproof, we all know the 6.0 sucks. I wanna say the oil takes 15qts on the 7.3, make sure you ask a mechanic after changing the fuel filter those motors are hard to prime if you drain all the fuel out.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:52 AM
jakebrake
Champion

When the 7.3 make noise, something is wrong. Usually if it is smoking real bad and runs rough- and makes alot of noise, one of the injector tips has split apart. This will not set a fault code. and will cause a low power complaint

Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 PM
samahi72

I used to have a power stroke and finally saw the light. There is a wonderful Ford Forum where their owners are just as helpful as everyone here. Go to www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
Best Wishes

Old 07-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

Thanks going to tell her to check this stuff too. Thanks

BNB

Old 07-27-2006, 02:26 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Like has been said here already, go to Walmart they have the Motorcraft oil filter and oil at a reasonable price. Change that oil and filter yourself. See what you get. I'll bet your problem is solved. I had a 1999 7.3 and then a 2004 6.0, both were very sensitive to oil. The reason is, the fuel injectors are fired by high pressure engine oil. If the oil is not up to specs it will not fire the injector properly.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

Okay I drove her truck and it is like something is holding it back, It is like something is not supplying enough of something for something else to work properly, could it be a fuel filter, I am going to check and replace that soon when she comes back, also what about a tps, the turbo is working properly, could it be her exhaust may be something is clogged (cat). Thanks

BNB

Old 08-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Drew
Professional

I'm wondering if the injectors have been damaged and are not fireing properly due to the wrong oil being used.

I dont think those trucks have CAT's unless it was a cali model.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

yea I am pretty sure it has a cat, its a BIG one too, I am going to replace the fuel filter, an add that stuff, Whenever she comes back home, how ever my dad said that she has always had a loud engine and a late throttle response. Should i replace the TPS, how much are they. So if she has always had a loud engine then it souldnt have been the oil change, they might have used the wrong oil filter but if they used the right oil and put in a diesel oil filter I would imagine that it would be alright. So now i am up to checking the
Fuel Filter
adding 32oz.
checking turbo connections

Also like i said earlier it has a poor take off, It is like something is not doing something to make something else work, however once it starts taching up in the 3s it will start to catch back up with itself. Does that help any. Thanks and let me know

BNB

Old 08-15-2006, 01:52 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

I'm curious, did you find the problem? how's it running?

Quick Reply: Need Ford Help Really Bad **UPDATE**