Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tranny leak on new truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:37 AM
06cummins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny leak on new truck

Let me start by saying hi. I just bought a new 06 2500 with the awesome Cummins motor. I drove it home after a grueling 5 hours in the dealership and noticed the truck was leaking tranny fluid. Needless to say I was pretty pissed off. I went back to the dealer but it was too late to get the truck into service. The manager said as long as there was no warning light the truck would be ok to drive. I have to take the truck back in this morning. What a bummer. Has anyone else had this issue or heard about it? The fluid only leaks when the truck is running. Whren the truck is running there is a steady drip and I can't really tell where its coming from. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tranny leak on new truck

could be a cooling line wasnt tightened up properly, best thing to do if your impatient is to head out with a roll of paper towels and a screw driver and tighten all the clamps on the transmission cooling lines going to and comeing from the cooler.

but I do have to ask this. . .what color is the fluid leak. if it is black then it is normal since you have a crank case breather that dumps out right where the engine and tranny meet. you can find this line by crawling under the truck on the drivers side and look for a 3/4 inch tube that just ends. if it is comeing from that then it is perfectly normal.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:57 AM
06cummins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tranny leak on new truck

thanks for the response. the fluid color was pink and there was an incredible amount that came out. the truck would only leak while it was running but it leaked at such a rate that there was a puddle everywhere i parked. i first noticed the leak after driving the truck home from the dealer. i had owned the thing for about 15 mins. anyways.

i took the truck into the dealer today. the first thing i heard was that i was going to need to rent a car. that's pretty funny. then i heard that there was no diesel tech available. finally i was told that the tech was out on a test drive. whatever. i told the manager that i wanted a new truck or i wanted my toyota back. three and half hours later i left i a NEW new truck. no leaks yet.

Quick Reply: Tranny leak on new truck