Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

trans swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:49 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans swap

My 02 auto trans is smoked. Here is my idea
Since the older 6speeds have a big parts issue, I am thinking of an 05 and newer 6speed. I know it is going to be a lot of work and money but I want a manual in it. Truck is paid off so a trade in is out of the option in my opinion. I need info on the new 6speeds. Do they have the same bolt pattern as the 24v. Are the flywheels the same on the common rail as the 24v. Any special sensors on the new trans? any info would help, I'm not up to date on these newer dodges.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trans swap

flywheel is not the same, it is a dual mass flywheel that is pretty much crap. the bolt pattern is the same, but the final gear ratio is .79:1. VERY high. if you have 4.10's dont even think about trying it. just to get to 60-65 you would be red lineing the engine.

why dont you have the 47RE you have rebuilt or get a 48RE?

Old 08-04-2006, 12:02 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: trans swap

My old truck was a manual. I didn't enjoy driving it around town (used to be from wyoming- no traffic) so for my new truck, I got an auto. Now that I have the auto, I can't stand how the thing shifts. I know they make different valving and stuff to change the way it shifts, but it won't be the same. I also Have gotten used to shifting a heck of a lot driving 15 and 18 speeds around town. Maybe if I get a bug up my butt this weekend, I'll go price out an 06 or a used 05 or something. The loss in the trade in value outta equal close to the price of a trans swap.

Quick Reply: trans swap