Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Couple Questions on older 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006 | 08:00 PM
savage_racing
Default Couple Questions on older 12 valve

First question, My heater motor comes on when the truck is running and is running for a while. You can tell it comes on cause it draws so much that the lights dim and the needle falls off the volt gauge. So how can I fix this or which relay do I pull.

Second Question, So I installed a stanless 4" turbo back exhaust, truck now has far more grunt, and have ordered an intake kit, just to make sure it can breathe real good. The question is, what else can I do to squeeze more power out with minor adjustments or mods? I realize that there is less options available for the older 12 valve cummins, so what can I do?

Old 08-08-2006 | 04:35 PM
Ralph78
Professional
Default RE: Couple Questions on older 12 valve

Question #2.) Have a # 10 fuel plate installed in the injector pump. With the intake and exhaust mods, you will have plenty of towing capability. I can pull the "Grapevine" ,on I-5 North of Los Angeles, at 60 MPH in OD towing my race car trailer, which wieghs about 5,500#, with car, tires and spares. If you have an Automatic Trans. you will need to worry about damage to the Transmission and Torque Converter once you bump up the HP. The Dodge Transmisison and TC are marginal at best, and will not last long with more power. I went to an aftermarket Transmission and TC with a TC lock up controller. If you have a Manual Transmission you will have fewer issues with moderate increases in power.

Ralph

Old 08-09-2006 | 09:43 PM
JohnInNH

#10 plate in my truck was/is ****!. (it's in the 4 sale section) Watch EGT closely at first. You can melt pistons towing with a #10. As long as you have gauges and common sense you will be fine ... a different AFC spring helps too. Once dialed in a #10 is a nice setup. I had no MPG change on the highway just normal driving. If you play you pay. But my over all MPG was good since your get more torque so the job gets done easier. You can actually gain MPG. It all depends on how you drive. By watching your smoke and EGT you get a feel of how to NOT waste fuel or harm your motor.

Go for it!

Old 08-11-2006 | 10:16 PM
savage_racing

Thanks for the info.

I am going to assume **** is good?
If a #10 pours in more fuel how would it melt pistons? Wouldn't the increase in fuel cool it down?
What does AFC stand for? How would it help?

Quick Reply: Couple Questions on older 12 valve