Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Mileage info...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:28 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Mileage info...

OK, got the speedo re-cal'd today and was lucky (or unlucky) enough to have to drive to the bay area. Filled it up, drove 181.2 miles and re-filled before coming home, it took 10.824 gallons... by just updating the speedo cal, I gained .8~.9 mpg... 16.74 mpg. this is the 2nd time this happened to me... the 1st time was with the 2000 ram. I got almost the exact same #'s after the re-cal.

To let everyone know, I previously measured my odometer errors on both trucks by driving long distance (lucked out on that) with someone else with a stock setup on their car/truck. took their mileage and compared it to my mileage and got the % error of it. I then added that error to my mileage #'s each time before calculating my mpg. So it should be pretty darn close the way I was doing it. So for all you guys with the big tires, if your speedo is not re-caled, get it done... it'll pay for itself in fuel savings.

Also, when I compared the 1st #'s of 15.9 & 15.8 it was like this...
the 15.9 was with the edge installed set to 0 (stock) and the brew in the tank. motor ran funny, pinging off and on.
the 15.8 was on the same route back the next day filled back up but without any additional brew. This drive had 1 summit to go over of about 1500 feet, the drive I took tonight had 2 summits 1 was 1500 & the other approx 1200. I had to go over them 2x, 1 direction with a headwind and a tailwind on the way back.

anyways... just thought i'd pass this on...

edit: oops... forgot to mention, still no edge installed. once that comes back I would expect to be in the high 17's for the same trip.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mileage info...

keep us in the know. I'm at half a tank still after installing the TST, huffed the turbo a bit yesterday on the way home when I had it set to 8/7 to **** off a ricer that was being a traffic a-hole.

I didnt completely bark the thing though, I was pushing about 8-10 punds of boost, but dang I was rolling the coal

Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: Mileage info...

Will do...

Might be good to go with a dual exhaust so you can get them on both sides of the truck...[sm=badbadbad.gif]

As I was entering the data into my spreadsheet, I looked back to see the mileage before the tires and I see that for the only 2 tanks I recorded mileage was 15.9 & 17.0 with the edge set to 1, it'll be interesting to see what I get over the next 3~4 weeks, at that time the amsoil will be going in. If i'm able to get .5 or the .8 you get for a bump in normal driving, plus the 1.0 the edge seems to give me consistantly, I should be in the mid 18's. [sm=happybounce.gif] that would be cool!

edit: uh, check that... I have the stock air filter on, mid 17's with the afe (gotta have it)...

Quick Reply: Mileage info...