Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hello! And a few noob questions......

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Inspector62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello! And a few noob questions......

Hey all. Test drove a 06 mega cab CTD Laramie 2X4 yesterday. I really liked the truck and was surprised by the ride. Man are they discounting them right now. A few questions for you experienced diesel heads.

1. The AC was very unimpressive. I understand that is not uncommon. Is there a fix for this?

2. Per the onboard computer it was getting about 17 mpg highway with less than 100 miles on it. How much could I expect that to improve?

3. I've heard mixed things on the chips. Some say the computer says you are getting more MPG, but in reality you don't. Any truth to this?

4. Regarding the Drew's mix. How much does it improve MPG in real world and how much do the additives cost? I figure if it gives you 1 more MPG that only saves you about $4.50 per tank @ $3.00 a gallon so it makes me wonder if it's worth it.

Anyway, I will most likely buy the truck this Tuesday. The interior room was very impressive. Like I said, the only really disappointing thing was the AC was very anemic.

Thanks a lot for any help in advance.

Bruce

Old 08-20-2006, 06:37 PM
oldVOR
Default RE: Hello! And a few noob questions......

I've had my '06 2500 QC CTD 4x4 for about a month now.
The AC works very well and will run me out of the truck if I leave it on high with the stat set on low. I usually have to back it down a bit for my taste. It may be different on the MEGA cab due to the larger interior volume that the same unit has to cool.
The mileage on mine has increased 1mpg since new and that is with ~3500 miles on the clock now.
The overhead computer has been fairly accurate and is within 1/2mpg from hand calculations. My OHC has been typically lower than hand calcs.
Can't really comment on the Drew's mix as I have not used anything but 42 or 45 cetane diesel.
You might want to drive another MEGA cab to make sure the AC in the first truck isn't bad or not performing up to par.

Good luck!

'06 2500 QC CTD 4x4 - Stock

Old 08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
usafr
All Star

When I first got mine in March, my A/C was kinda so so, now it will freeze me out. Maybe its just me, but it does seem colder now.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

The ac my '06 Mega gets darn cold as well howewver its kinda like the heat in the winter. It does take a little while to get goin but works fine. If you took it for the typical 3-5 mile test drive on a hot day it prob. was just gettin there by the time you got back.

As far as the added milage goes I couldnt tell ya if the "mix" helps as I used it from the start. From most posts it adds 1-2.5 depending on your right foot. In theory the extra cetane has to increase combustability and the added lubrication provided by Marvels Mystery Oil can only help with the lower and lower sulphur content in the fuels so its just kinda become a ritual for me at fill up.

When it comes to the overhead everyones seems to be either high or low by 1-3 or 4. Mine has always been about 2-3 above the actual hand calc. mileage. The mileage does increase as the miles add up. I started at around 17-19 right out of the box (mix?) and saw about 1.5-2 increase after about my 3rd load of 5k lbs.

If I keep my foot out of it I can get 22-23.5 highway unloaded with the addition of the QuadZilla XZT (65hp) econo non adj. chip. Now thats running about 70 (1900rpms) and its a very big IF as I seldom am able to maintain control over my right foot. On average I run abot 19. Thats 70/30 highway / city.

One more note on the AC. I am really impressed with the rear air. On longer trips I've come to notice the rear passengers move there feet becouse it really gets crankin.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Hello! And a few noob questions......