Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ROYAL PURPLE FLUIDS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:14 PM
ARMOUR
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ROYAL PURPLE FLUIDS

Does anybody have an opinion on this brand of fluids? I am looking to change out all factory fluids now that i am at 60,000Km's. I have used Royal purple for years in my cars, and need thoughts on it for trucks...

Only thing i cant find on their site is the fluid compatabilities... If anyone can help, I would like to hear some opinions.

THANKS, ARMOUR

Old 08-22-2006, 01:15 AM
hiredgun
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ROYAL PURPLE FLUIDS

I run R.P. in my 02 ctd... I used to run it in my F150 . I have had good luck with it and I have a few buddies that have been running it in their ford and chevy diesels for a few years . I guess its personal prefrence R.P./Amsoil ..... there are people who love one but wouldnt use the other . I think its just what works for you and is more affordable and easy to find in your area........

Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 AM
SpLaT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ROYAL PURPLE FLUIDS

I work in the oil/gas production field, we have several large displacement CAT engines as well as Cummins all run on 40w Low Ash "dino oil" these engine run 24hrs 7 days a week (running at 1800 rpm), with oil changes and valve lashes done every 1500hrs. Engine oil samples taken usually show little to no wear except when the odd CAT has a cam problem which usually shows up in the oil sample analysis.

As for my CTD I started using synthetic oil after 20k miles. The molecules in "dino oil" are very irregular as oppsed to synthetic where the molecules are the same size. With the oil molecules being uniform there is less tendency for oil blow by and better surface contact which in turn promotes better start up as there will always be oil there. As for which "brand" to use... they are pretty much all the same as you'll notice on each manufacturer's lables they do not list the ingredients such as ..ash content, the different detergents and so on. Mid to higher priced lubricants are always going to be the best bet.

Quick Reply: ROYAL PURPLE FLUIDS