Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Motor difference

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
360Dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor difference

Wondering what the difference is between the ho motor and the standard one? Ratings of each?

Also read somwhere that you can't tow fifth wheel with short box, is that just a camper, or a flat bed and livestock trailer as well? It looks like lots people out here are towing with short boxes.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Motor difference

ORIGINAL: 360Dodge

Also read somwhere that you can't tow fifth wheel with short box, is that just a camper, or a flat bed and livestock trailer as well? It looks like lots people out here are towing with short boxes.
Apparently it CAN be done if you have a "slider" type hitch, but that's just what I read here. I pull a regular tongue type trailer.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:20 PM
GypsyBill

You can haul a 5er with a short box, if, your 5er has an extended pin or if you use a slider hitch or if you are VERY careful and limit how tight you turn... otherwise, it gets real expensive to replace the back glass, fix the dented body on the truck and the nose on the 5er... I see them all the time (5er's being hauled by shortbox trucks) and a lot of folks never have a problem if they are careful.

Do they still make an SO? I know when I bought my '03 you could get an SO or an HO.. but I thought after the 04.5's came out that went away... I may be mistaken as I haven't kept up with that... I think in '03 the SO was something like 230hp/450torque and the HO was something like 305/555 as best as I can remember... the SO also came with a different drive train if I remember right.. someone will correct me if I am wrong on all this...

Old 08-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill you are very close.

in 04.5 the HO and SO went away. now there is only one rateing for the enigne. in 03 and 04 you still had the HO 305hp and the SO 285hp and the cali edition 235hp. before that there were many different HP rateings but you still had the HO which went to the manuals and the SO's were mainly auto's, however you could find some SO's in manual form.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:17 PM
GypsyBill

Thanks Drew.. I couldn't remember the numbers on the SO and what I did remember was closer to the CA #s of that year...

Quick Reply: Motor difference