Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Just wondering???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:57 PM
RustProofCorn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wondering???

Hey i hear from people all the time that i am putting wear and tear on my truck by haveing the qzilla on it.. so i was wondering what am i wear and tearing?? i drive normal i never peal out so i am just wondering... when a chip screws your truck up can it kill the whole motor?? or just parts of the motor that can be replaced? has anyone ever accually had a motor go out from a chip before or anything else for that matter??? just a wonder what do chips do to screw your truck up and what is the worse case cenerio <SP?

Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just wondering???

here's the thing with the whole 'wear and tear' thing.

the engine is rated to put out 'X' amount of power at max capacity before you push the head off, sling the rods through the oil pan and bust the crank in half while sectioning the block. Then engineers do some funny math and come up that the engine will live for 'Z' miles before major service if they run it at 'Y' hp and torque. The greater the ratio between 'X' and 'Y' the longer the engine will live.

what these prgrammers and boxes do is push the ratio of 'X' and 'Y' closer together therefore shorteneing the overall lifespan of the engine and trans. but dont worry and keep your foot in it, the 5.9ISB was origionaly designed for around 900hp output, but then was cut back to 160hp for engine life. Ive been under a 1200hp 5.9ISB dragster, it will haul bootay and do it consistantly and reliably.

hopefully that will clear things up for ya.

Quick Reply: Just wondering???