Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

"Warranty station" ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:38 AM
ga_noplugs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Warranty station" ?

Drew,
When you say

"I am my own warranty station" do you mean you do all your own work and pay for all your own parts for anything that breaks? If thats the case, then you basically don't make any warranty claims or use any existing "warranties" for things that "break"?

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
RustProofCorn
Professional
Default RE: "Warranty station" ?

man i have been wanting to ask this very question.. i didnt get it either....

Old 09-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you basicaly got it right there. Just look at Cumminalong's post about what he had to go through just to get his truck back after the dealership dammaged it.

do I have a warranty, yes, have I used it. only once to get the drip edge seal replaced since it was a dealer only part. past that I have acess to all the tools and machinery needed to fix anything on my truck. SSHHHHH I get the tools from work

anyway, you would be surprized the markup on parts and labor and how much money you can save by doing alot of the work yourself. case in point I pay about $15 for the oil filter and $9 for the fuel filter. go to the dealership and the oil filter will run you over $40 and the fuel is over $30 and that is not includeing the labor to put it in.

I used to work on the floor of a dealership. I know what these guys do and there are only a few people I will let under my truck to work on it without me being there, and thats cause I'm not that great with a welder[:@]

Old 09-11-2006, 04:14 AM
ga_noplugs

Yes, I remember his post, that was not a fun situation to be in.

As far as parts, pricing and markup, I'm not really surprised. I've been doing much of my own auto maint/repair for years now. (note the Honda in my sig)
I like getting LOTS of bang for my buck so I'm not going to pay some needless markup unless there is lots of value in it. (hey, i shop at Geno's now ;-)

I guess it boils down to this
If you want the factory warranty and want the security of knowing someone else will be responsible for fixing problems (in general that is) then leave the truck stock. (I know, there are those of us that can laugh at the false sense of security)

If you can or want to be responsible for completing repairs for everything (engine, tranny, etc) and you have the tools, resources or money to back it up. You can do whatever you want. (All those nice toys come to mind...Quad, TST, turbo, etc.)

As Baretta said - If you can't do the time...... (I think I just dated myself) [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 09-11-2006, 12:41 PM
cumminalong

I tell ya what, if this thing wasn't under warranty the dealership would NEVER see it.[:'(]

All the usual maintenance stuff I always do anyways. There is no way I could ever see paying dealer prices for simple maintenance. I mean come on, if you can't change your own oil, you REALLY must not have a need for a truck. The only remote pain in the butt is the tranny fluid, and that is just because it's a mess to do it all, including the torque converter.

Now, I can't go blasting all the service departments and CERTAINLY not all the tech's, as there are some very good ones out there; they are just few and far between. The problem that even the good techs run into is dealing with a service manger, GM, or owner that want's to cut corners or doesn't want to send guys to classes or certifications to know exactly what they are doing. Or you get some jackass service manager that doesn't want to listen to his tech when he says, "Yes, there is something wrong."

Don't always hammer the tech, it's not always their fault. NOW, when you forget to secure a tranny cooler line and it gets ripped off by the d-shaft.....YOU ARE A MORON. When you forget to tighten down a tranny cooler line............YOU ARE A MORON. When you have to beat a crossmember to the point of distorting it and then still try to half-**** reinstall it............YOU ARE A COMPLETE AND TOTAL MORON, PLEASE REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THE GENE POOL. [:@]

But yeah, if I could get the parts at cost and do all the work as warranty work, I'd be all over that deal. But, I guess us common folk jsut gotta do what we can to keep our babies out of the evil hands of the service departments.

Rich

Quick Reply: "Warranty station" ?