Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

is there a trick to start my 06 cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:19 PM
MTRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: is there a trick to start my 06 cummins?

Thanks DBLR and Drew, appreciate the assistance. I will keep an eye on it as well watch the starter cranking times.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:43 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

MTRam,

I sent you an email with some info for you to go read up on.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:35 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MTRam

Mine nearly did NOT start yesterday. Only 1700 miles on it, and yesterday, when it wouldn't start, I tried the short cranks method. After the 4th would not start, I took it out of 1st and it started right up. Coincidence, I believe. Not sure. But even in Neutral, after the coil and red light were off, I went back to long cranks (nothing over 30 sec), it started, but probably after about 10 - 12 cranks. Just still trying to get used to the diesel.

im a diesel tech in training and i know the starting system pretty well..... well all i can say is that 30 seconds for a new engine to start is pretty much a long time.... weve got really beaten up engines at my votech and they start up with ease... 7 seconds maybe?...... yea send that puppy to the dealer.... and u can run the starter for 15 seconds and wait 2 minutes i believe... unless its 30 secs start/ 2 mins wait.... o yea... amke sure u got ur clutched depressed... even a skilled driver who knows manual well can mess up a few times... im used to doin that, haha

Old 09-22-2006, 01:11 PM
MTRam

Dblr and f0X672, thanks for the info. As far as the TSB goes, some of that I don't mind checking next time but I leave most of that up to the garage. Was I supposed to have fuel in the fuel tank, at least that's what the TSB says. LOL. Just kidding. Anyway, this morning I tried something a little different and it appears to be working. I waited for the "wait to start" light to go off, then I waited until the "check engine" or "mil" light to start blinking (compared to a steady light) which was probably, I'm guessing, 15-20 seconds after I turned the key on, before starting, and it started right up. If the hard to start symptoms start occuring again, I will follow up with the TSB.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Ranchand

I dont know about you guys but mine only does that when its hot. Does anyone else experiance this?

Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 PM
MTRam

Doesn't get hot enough here, I don't think. Anyway, finally took it in today, they flashed it with an update that apparently came out Tuesday of this last week. Great. Now all I have to do is wait for it to get below 50 again. They also updated the auto idle, that is when it gets below a certain temp, it will run at a higher rpm to warm up.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:34 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Keep us posted on your thoughts about the flash. Ecomony, power, ect.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Randy101

Hello, New to the board here. I think I might be able to help with this if Ecm reprogram doesnt help. First the Grid Heaters wont actually come on until it gets down to 30-35 degrees. When you first turn key on there will be a bulb check for the grid heaters which is a coil symbol. The little red light is the Anti theft system if you have it. This new flash may fix your problem if not its most likely the crank sensor. Had this same problem but flash did not fix new crank sensor did. Condition was very intermittent.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:47 PM
MTRam

Ok, here's the latest on the flash my truck recieved. The hard starts are almost but all gone. I've had a few, but those few have started if I stop cranking and start again. When it's cold, it hasn't had a problem starting since the flash. The few hard starts have been when the weather was around 50-60 deg. But again, those are few enough, I'm not going to worry about it. The auto idle is also working out well. When it gets around 20 degrees, the auto idle runs at about 1k rpm, until I take off. Thanks, gents.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:33 PM
MTRam

Below 5 degrees this morning. So I plugged it in last night. When I got in this morning, there wasn't even a wait to start light. It fired right up. Then a few seconds later, the high idle kicked in -- pretty nice. All is appearing to work well now. I see other people had questions on that high idle -- it is not enabled by default from what my dealer told me. The other flash helped with the starting. This CTD is an awesome rig.

Quick Reply: is there a trick to start my 06 cummins?