Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Drew's brew question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:20 PM
chadg2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drew's brew question?

Hi I just bought a 2006 Ram 2500 quad cab with 5.9L Diesel w/6speed. Going to start using Drew's brew but have a question on why your mixing the MMO so light. It's so very cheap and yet only 8oz per mix. How did you come up with the 8/16 mix, or does using more MMO just seem to be a waste? Thanks for your help. Chad

Old 09-14-2006, 01:04 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: Drew's brew question?

congrats on the truck and welcome to DF...

you can mix the MMO up to whatever they recommend on the bottle, however from most peoples experience here (who mentioned it) there was no clear benifit to going with more. the MMO really helps out the gen 2 trucks with the vp44 injection pump, they fail quickly w/o enough lubrication. I've run up to 24 oz of MMO on a full tank and saw no benifit or loss from it.

the thing with the PSD is to help keep your injectors & CC clean from carbon buildup.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:11 PM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, Have you ever heard of using tras. fluid for carbon build up, I have a older friend that works for the local Ford shop, He said he has used it for gas/diesal eng. He said in the gas engine they would pour it real real slow into the carb. It will smoke like hel^ but would clean the heck out of the heads ect. As far as the diesal he would mix a qt. to a gal of fuel ect.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

I've never heard of it, I think the best thing however to keep the CC clean is steam...in the diesels I think (no experience here) that a little bit of water mist would help clean the CC & injectors. I know methanol users inject the mix 50/50 with water to cool the intake and supposedly there is a cleaning effect.

I did hear of a guy using 2 stroke oil in the fuel for lubrication. I've never tried it since I have the MMO available at the local Wally mart...

Old 09-15-2006, 02:25 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the old days you could do such and it did work. With all of the additives they put in to trans fluid now days I don't think it is a good idea to use it in a Cummins. Your better off using PS and MMO.

My $0.02 worth.

Quick Reply: Drew's brew question?