Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

tires and wheels for '99 2500 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 PM
timm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires and wheels for '99 2500 4X4

We just helped our son purchase a '99 4X4 2500 Cummins. Probably more truck than he needs, but he has done a lot of research over the past 12 months and this is the only truck he would consider. It is a red truck and in very good shape. The only thing I would like to change is the 10" Mickey Thompson wheels with 305/270/R16 tires. They have an pretty agressive offset which makes the tire stick out and seems to grab bumps and surface changes on the road and pull the steering. I put it in the shop yesterday and spent $1200.00 replacing most of the tie rod and other front end stuff. The steering is better but again, I think it will handle better with, maybe a 8" wheel and 285/75/R16 tires. He likes the Mickey Thompson Classic II and the B.F. Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO tire. Would this be a good solution for this truck? Is there another size suggestion? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The best price I have found on this set is at TirePackage.com for $1,166.92 mounted and shiped. Is this my best option or should I consider purchasing from another source?

Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: tires and wheels for '99 2500 4X4

welcome to df...

I had the MT classics II's on my 1500 and loved them, they were an awesome rim that could handle alot of abuse. they are rated for something like 3500# load each, or something like that... they are pretty tough.

My personal experience with BFG tires has not been good on more than 1 occasion... I wouldnt recommend them. last time I had them on my 1500 ram, 2x I slid into an intersection on wet pavement because the tires all locked up and wouldnt grab on the road. that was kinda the last straw for me. my favorites are the toyo open country AT's and the Mt's (next for my truck) and another tire I'm having good luck with so far are the Pro-Comp extreme AT's which are on my truck now. they seem to be handling my abuse well and are not wearing funny or too fast. I may give them another shot next time I have to get tires. BTW, www.4wheelparts.com has a sale in March, by 3 get 1 free, free shipping and also free mounting & balancing if your buying a tire/wheel package. may be too far off but it's worth mentioning.

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...egory=off-road

http://www.procomptires.com/ just noticed that they are having a buy 3 get 1 free deal thru Oct 31st...

this is the tire I currently have... http://www.procomptires.com/xtremeallterrain.html the others in my opinion are junk based on reading other posts on them. I personally have no experience with the other pro comp tires.

hope this helps, post a pic if you would... and have your son join so we can help him out when he needs it.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:52 PM
timm

what would the 305/70R/16 that I have on the 10" rim now on a 8" look like compared to the 285/75/R16 on a 8" wide rim? This will make the wheel taller right? will the tire extend more beyond the wheel? A taller tire will be fine, as long as it has room, I am looking for a smaller footprint. What would a 295/75R/16 do on a 8" wheel. How do I make the tire a little taller but not a lot fatter or wider on a 8" wheel? THX

Old 10-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

this is the tire I currently have... http://www.procomptires.com/xtremeallterrain.html

NICE tire Steve !!

40K warranty as well ... not too shabby !!

Quick Reply: tires and wheels for '99 2500 4X4